Hunting license question.

Stretcher Guy

didn't know you were in a "special" county, being Suffolk County that has some extra restrictions.

For us normal people in upstate, NY, it is very clear.  You can shoot 2 bucks for the 3 seasons no matter how you slice it.

actually, the tag usage is less restrictive in Suffolk County.

Forgive me if this is a hijack of the thread, but I think it is pretty on topic. I am also a newbie trying to sift through the details of what is correct.

From the above post and looking through the DEC website, I find the following:

Regular license which includes "big game" - one regular season deer tag

Bow privilege (must have regular license to obtain):  one bow/mz season either sex tag AND one bow/mz season antlerless deer tag

Bow/Mz tags can ONLY be used in Bow/Mz season. You can hunt with a bow during regular season, but must use you regular tag for that harvest

Regular tag can be used in regular season OR late Bow/Mz season. To use in late Bow/Mz season, you must have the appropriate Bow/Mz privilege. Of course, to use the regular tag in late bow/mz season you must also be hunting with a bow or muzzleloader.

Am I correct so far?

Now my newbie questions. I am in the southern region in the Catskills. My WMU has an antler restriction. Rifle hunting is allowed in my county (during regular season).

The DEC web page here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html talks about Deer Tag Types and Privileges. When discussing bow hunting (either with the Bow tag or with the regular tag during late bow season) it indicates the antlerless tag restriction only applies to "certain Northern Zone WMUs which are for Antlered Deer Only."

Has that page simply not been updated to include the southeast WMUs in the antler restriction program?

In a WMU with antler restrictions, how do the bow tags work (including regular tag during late season)? 

where things get confusing is that different WMU have different regs and in some cases counties as well. The DEC website is pretty good, but from you posted, for most of the state yes, you are correct.

didn't know you were in a "special" county, being Suffolk County that has some extra restrictions.

For us normal people in upstate, NY, it is very clear.  You can shoot 2 bucks for the 3 seasons no matter how you slice it.

to a point. For example you cannot use 2 tags during the same season. But spread out over 3, as long as you're using the right weapon, then yes you can generally shoot 2 antlered deer. And given your WMU DMP regs and the ability to transfer DMPs you can shoot a ton of doe... haha.

Edited by Belo