Met A Young Guy

Early

Don't use cameras, don't use scent control and don't use stands. Don't have the latest and greatest bows, arrows, or camo clothing sets. Don't have any BDC scopes either. I'm not against these things, and not against people that use them.

As long as they are using what is legally allowed, have at it. For someone to come on here and claim holier than thou because they hunt differently is just bad for the sport.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Don't use cameras, don't use scent control and don't use stands. Don't have the latest and greatest bows, arrows, or camo clothing sets. Don't have any BDC scopes either. I'm not against these things, and not against people that use them.

As long as they are using what is legally allowed, have at it. For someone to come on here and claim holier than thou because they hunt differently is just bad for the sport.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Same here. I don't use anything fancy, just the basics. But, I don't feel superior to anyone else because of my choice of equipment. It's your time out there, use it anyway you see fit.

• Like 1

Why do you care if these new hunters are using cams and such? I hunt however I feel like it. If I want to put a camera in the woods to give me some motivation to see that deer then I will. If what they are doing is legally and morally just then let them be. Remember, hunting in my generation of video game nerds and kids glued to Facebook and call of duty, is hard to come by a person who enjoys being outside and hunting.

Just curious ..... does that include extreme canned hunting? Had they not made internet hunting illegal would that had been ok too?

I understand that such things could happen and theoretically we are not impacted by them because we choose how we are going to hunt. But there is a universal truth that the sport that we are all a part of is impacted by the acts of others. That's why we get all upset when some hunter shows up in the headlines as doing something incredibly stupid or illegal. Our sport is constantly under scrutiny and judgment from the outside that can eventually move public opinion against us. So, It is good to have an opinion on things beyond simply whether it is legal or not. At least that is the way I see these kinds of discussions. I think it is good that people constantly evaluate and ponder ethics and other right and wrong judgments. I think it is what eventually establishes reasonable rules of conduct and in the long haul makes hunting stronger.

I said hunting not shooting of farm animals. :bye:

When showing the youth how to hunt, besides showing them scrapes, droppings, rubs, trails, etc, just show them where to place a trail cam and come back in a couple of weeks and see they're faces light up.  Same holds true when making a food plot.  My food plots are 5 to 10 ft wide and maybe 15ft long.  Some places are alot less.  I'll make 5 such areas for the deer to stop and eat or bed down in.  That no-plow works good enough to put green in an area and grows anywhere.  They like to rake out some areas, and throw the seed down, then come back and see how many deer use the area.  I don't plant it where I bow hunt cause where I go, there's too much competition with surrounding areas.  It's only about 15 - 20 acres of huntable area.  But where I rifle, you kind of need it, especially with 25 guys hunting the same mountain, bout 650 acres. 

I like the traditional ways of hunting.  In my 4 x 4 stand, I use sterno to supply heat.  Have an old porcellan sterno heater, open the flap, put in the sterno and it's good for 2 hours of heat.  The other guys all have gas heaters and laugh that I still use sterno, but it works for me.  I like the hunting stands in the mornings and like to walk the property during the mid-day.  Always seem to kick something up and still have a shot. 

Problem is I taught my son how to hunt, and he get's his every year and usually with bragging rights.  I've hunted with a bow for nine years, had chances on does, and small bucks, and never saw the need to shoot cause I know rifle's coming up and I only need one deer.  It's just a great excuse to get out in the woods early, and when the time comes to take a nice one, hope I make the right shot and take em down.