wearing glasses while hunting

joesnextoy

I think I have seen more deer get spooked by the glare of a rifle scope then glasses, I wear them most of the time, Orange ones  ones in the morning and near sunset and sunglasses during the bright days, very little foging if any. I found when wearing a face mask by not putting it over the nose the glasses do not fog up. Both mesh and fleece types.

I try to wear my contacts when out hunting.  Better peripheral vision and no fogging.  In some brushy areas I do wear yellow shooting glasses to enhance what I see and keep stuff out of my eyes - they fog up when using a facemask but at least i can see when I take those off.

I did use some type of anti-fog spray back in high-school before I got my contacts.  Glasses fogged over during every Friday night half-time show and I was marching blind without pre-treating my glasses.  This one time at band camp...

Have to see if I still have a bottle of it somewhere.

Guest FrostyLeaves

i have always worn glasses, but just this past tuesday i went to my eye doctor and got daily contacts. they truly are alot better then glasses i believe because when you are looking around you dont see the rim of the glasses or other parts that can be annoying and get in the way. also i have daily contacts which means i use a new pair everyday and they have made all the difference this past week

I have always worn glasses. I tried contacts once, I needed special custom ones because apparently I have goofy shaped eyes-- who knows. Anyhow, they would rotate in my eye and everything would get blurry unless I was constantly fixing them. It was sort of a nightmare! So for now, it's glasses.

I just clean them well in the morning before I go, and keep a few cloth handkerchiefs (soft ones) in my pocket or pack where they will stay dry. I'll use these to clean my glasses off if I get a lot of moisture on them. When I am having a lot of fogging on those special sorts of days where the conditions are right, I will try to breathe in through my nose and exhale through my mouth and it seems to help.

I have always worn glasses. I tried contacts once, I needed special custom ones because apparently I have goofy shaped eyes-- who knows. Anyhow, they would rotate in my eye and everything would get blurry unless I was constantly fixing them. It was sort of a nightmare! So for now, it's glasses.

It's called astigmatism.  I had it once.  Fortunately for me I had it on my non-dominant eye and it was mild so it didn't effect my over all vision much which allowed me to use contacts.  Not as rare as you think.  A lot of people has it but might not even notice it.  It's only when the irregularity of the curvature is significant is when people realize they even have it.

Edited by Elmo

My astigmatism was on the dominate eye.  I say had, because wearing gas-perm contacts (rigid or hard lenses as some call them) gradually re-shape your eye's lens after years of wearing them.

Gas-perm lenses last longer, don't tear, and don't fold up in the eye - down-side is they are more difficult to take out, especially when they get dry.

Had had soft lenses tear, turn inside-out, dry-out (as in not re-hydrating), and fold up in my eye if I rubbed them.  But they still beat wearing glasses that fog up, slide-off when sweating, and provide no peripheral vision.

Now I just need to keep the shooting glasses from fogging up - unless I am having a bad contact lens day.