Fat and hair no blood.

First-light

Here is a picture of my friends buck he shot last Friday. I put an arrow to show direction of shot. Look at the fat on the spine, brisket and sides. I believe Phade and Sam got it right that I hit high up off one side. Arrow probably exited the flank. Thanks for all the input folks.

post-156-0-21633400-1382434435_thumb.jpg

Edited by First-light

Belo

From the angle of your arrow it looks like you were not only high above, but also just behind that deer with him walking away from you. Correct?

It was about 4 years ago and only the second deer I ever arrowed. There were about 6 deer running around in these pines I hunt. He appeared once in-between rows, then was gone and then appeared again. I quickly went to full draw and released as he moved into view. He was moving and it was my only window. I believe he was cornering towards. It happened so fast and I'm almost glad it did, had a big buck like that slowly walked into a shooting lane I'd probably have flung the arrow over his back. Regardless he crumpled up less then 30 yards from the hit. I imagine it was a little back due to him moving. But it's not a shot you want and it's not an easy one.

My advice is not to compensate or guess or even add a pin... Try these shots out of a practice stand that is the height you normally hunt from. I have 2 of my buck targets in wheels. Play with angles. I must admit I was a little surprised at where my arrow landed. I could have swore my 5 pt last year was a dead nuts kill broadside at 12yds... It was low and I was lucky to clip the heart he bled like a pig and died quickly but it was closer than I'd have liked. Another 8 point several years ago only hit one lung and came out the guts. Quartering towards, to impatient to wait for the broadside shot that was about to come (long season) and Again not compensating for angle. My pins are now set to compensate for being 25-30' up. There is a pretty noticeable difference in shooting from the ground.

Edited by Belo