Where to sight in my Bow

bnola

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.00 : NY Code - Section 265.00: Definitions -

"Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or ( a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or © a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d) any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e) an assault weapon. For the purpose of this subdivision the length of the barrel on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breechlock when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore. Firearm does not include an antique firearm.

Edited by SDS

Around 20 years ago, my old brother worked down in Virginia for a summer and came back with a Bear bow.  We took it out to this empty lot near our house (it's since been developed) and shot it there at a target.  Cops came by while we were setting up and asked us what we were doing.  When we told them they said as long as we kept it pointed at the hill it was okay.  Looking back on it, we were less than 100 feet of one of the neighbors houses.  Granted he was 19 at the time and I was 16.  A couple of weeks later, he took the target and bow to a park and a different set of cops stopped him.  They told him he can't shoot in the park or they'll give him a ticket.  He never took the bow out again.  Only would shoot it in my grandfathers back yard which is less than 10 yards.  He missed the target once and the arrow ricocheted back and almost hit him.  My mom found out and took the bow away.  I finally dug it out of the basement a few years ago.

I guess the story goes is it all depends on which cop you run into.  Not all of them know every single law and if they suspect something is not right, they'll find some ticket to give you.

These days I don't think you'd get only a warning if a cop actually saw you shooting a bow, even if it was in an abandoned lot or something.  I have little doubt that you'd get fined or arrested and have the bow confiscated.  Who would be willing to defend you in NYC??  NO one.

FYI I got stopped in the park(prospect) the other day just with my bow in the soft case and arrows un cut with no heads on them and they busted my chops for a bit. Didn't actually state a law to me but if they can write summons for riding a bike in the wrong direction which they do write a ridiculous amount of them actually, sure as shyt they have multiple summons that they could have hit me or anyone else with.

Staten Island is useless for any gear minus some hiking stuff.

FYI I got stopped in the park(prospect) the other day just with my bow in the soft case and arrows un cut with no heads on them and they busted my chops for a bit. Didn't actually state a law to me but if they can write summons for riding a bike in the wrong direction which they do write a ridiculous amount of them actually, sure as shyt they have multiple summons that they could have hit me or anyone else with.

Staten Island is useless for any gear minus some hiking stuff.

There you have it.  No way in hell that Bloomberg and Kelly's finest would let you slide these days!!  A freaking sharp pencil is illegal in NYC.   

• Like 1

I think only reason I didn't get anything was because I happened to help the cop out back in the day with his aquarium and he recognized me I guess, thank god for those fish lol. Just recently I got a summons for being In the park after dark, gave cop a Sargent PBA card and a staten island borough president molinaro card and the cop laughed in my face lol and wrote me the ticket thus how I know that they write so many bicycle tickets, thats what the court day basically consisted of, crazy the world we live in now. I'm not even 30 so I can only imagine how's it changed for some others on here...

He's nothing to look forward to, but I figure if Bloomberg didn't ban firearms completely in NYC in 12 years, this guy might not either.  

Less worried about firearm ban and more worried about his leadership.  He's making a lot of promises but doesn't seem to have a concrete plan on how he's going to execute it.  It's going to be David Dinkins all over again.  Start up all these programs, give out tons of freebies, then all of a sudden realizes the city if broke afterwards.  People are happy to vote him in because they'll get a lot of free stuff but then doesn't put two and two together when they get mugged 6 years later.

But I'll stop commenting on politics on this thread.  Don't want to sabotage the OP's thread.

As far as targets go, again, I live in the Bronx so I don't know much as far as LI and BK but the Dick's in White Plains (Westchester) sells hunting equipment including targets.

Can you actually find this law that lists bows as "firearms"?

I went looking for it the other day and I can't find it in the city penal code. I always thought it was illegal, but I can't find anything other than the states 500' rule on the actual books.

I use Willowbrook Park to sight in my bow at 40+ yards, but as it was mentioned multiple times above, you need your own targets. There are currently no places on Staten Island that I know of that carry archery gear. The Dick's on SI is useless, and Outdoor Adventures closed a couple of years ago. If you are on SI and looking for a proshop that is a relatively short drive away, a new place in Woodbridge, NJ opened up this year. I believe it's called Woodbridge Arms and Archery.

I haven't looked into it, TBH, but I wouldn't risk it in NYC. Heck, they can charge me with attempted murder for shooting a bow if they wanted to, what they got to lose?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems