Pet Peeve of the Day

cdmckane

I didn't hunt at my house yesterday morning.  I did sit in the corner of my field in the afternoon and saw exactly 0 deer.  Normally, that field is a main grazing area late afternoon into early evening.  I don't contribute it all to him shooting Friday night, but I can't help but place some of the blame there. 

We have small game hunting going on from September right up to opening day, and shots can be heard all around the valley even during the summer. Definitely there is a whole lot of shooting during the day before season. Actually the sound of gunfire is pretty common and expected. So if the deer get all paranoid and start to hug the ground with every shot that is fired, I guess that by the time opening day rolls around, they must be all dug into the ground in some perfect hiding area. But then we know that isn't so. I think the deer become conditioned to gun shots until the shots are at them. They seem to know the difference.

I found it kind of interesting that almost all of the shots on opening day were taken in the 1st half hour of the morning. To me, it signified that it took about 1/2 hour of shooting and hunter invasion for almost the whole deer population to "wise-up". So there are things that do put them into survival mode. But I don't think a few shots the night before really does that all by itself.

Exactly the reason why I hunt escape routes!

The way I see it is the rut will still happen. The does will be edgy from hunter pressure / gunshots and seek these dark hideaways and pull the almost oblivious bucks in with them. It's not hard to predict where the deer will head when they get pressured. The thickest, nastiest and almost impenetrable cover around!