Question on tags and AR areas

jrm

I'm a little confused and hope some of the more knowledgeable folks here can clarify things for me. I'm new to this, so go easy on me. :)

With a "Super Sportsman" license, you receive the following:

• a Regular Season Deer Tag and
  • a Bow/Mz Season Either Sex Deer Tag and
  • a Bow/Mz Season Antlerless Deer Tag

I understand that the regular season deer tag is an Antlered deer tag. I am in a southern zone AR area. No problem - the rules are clear.

However, what about early and late bow season? There is an either sex/anterless deer tag provided for those.

The DEC website states these anterless/either sex tags:

Cannot be used for Antlerless deer during muzzleloading seasons in certain Northern Zone WMUs that are forAntlered Deer only

Bow and MZ seasons do not line up exactly. Also, the AR restriction area I am concerned about is in the Southern, not Northern Zone. Finally, the hunting season chart on the DEC website references the AR by stating: "Bucks must have at least...."

So the question is, what is legal to harvest in this Southern Zone, AR area with a bow during late (or early) bow season, using the anterless or either sex tag?

Either sex = a doe or a buck with 3 points or more on one side. Anterless = a doe , if you screw up and shoot a button buck.I would think it depends on the ECON officer.

Remember all of the proper tags have to be filled out after the deer is found.Not when you get back to camp.

Either sex = a doe or a buck with 3 points or more on one side. Anterless = a doe , if you screw up and shoot a button buck.I would think it depends on the ECON officer.

Remember all of the proper tags have to be filled out after the deer is found.Not when you get back to camp.

nothing illegal about shooting a button buck and using an antlerless tag...................

So the Regular Season tag is (obviously) governed by the antler restriction. You can only take an antlered deer and it must comply with the AR rules.

In bow season, however, the Anterless/either sex tag still allows you to harvest a doe. Although, if you use the either sex tag for a buck, it must conform to the AR rules.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Not sure about all that but I love the ar areas then you can shoot button bucks and us an antlerless tag.  If a deer makes it through the first year it has a chance to mature.  I know it is the law but seems counter productive to me