Another video about a new hunter

mike rossi

Not sure of how genuine this video is, because it seems to be for routing viewers to a TV channel. It also seems to be a spin off of both the duck dynasty and the women in hunting craze. Never the less , at least from this short clip, it puts hunting in a favorable image, unlike the recent you know who and what disaster...

http://youtu.be/DkHLIaogb-Q

• 3 weeks later...

As far as television is concerned, and to a large extent hunting magazines, women hunters are getting a lot of air time, publicity and press. My wife hunts and traps, and agrees with me that with some individuals it is a fad. Same with Duck Dynasty, although luckily NY has not felt it, many waterfowlers in other states are claiming the influx of so many new hunters is seemingly influenced by the Robertson clan. Recent surveys have reported 11% of all new hunters being females, although I don't believe all of that is because of TV, but I am sure some of it is.

More importantly is the gender shift in wildlife biologists. In recent years, most students enrolled in wildlife/fisheries studies are females and most of them never had any exposure to hunting. This trend will create a situation in the future with people with no exposure to hunting managing hunters.

Edited by mike rossi

Not sure Duck Dynasty would have that big of an inpact, as the women on the show don't hunt. I wouldn't call Miss Kay's turtle searching hunting.

I do believe they aired one episode where the wives went deer hunting with their hubbies and hated it.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

As far as television is concerned, and to a large extent hunting magazines, women hunters are getting a lot of air time, publicity and press. My wife hunts and traps, and agrees with me that with some individuals it is a fad. Same with Duck Dynasty, although luckily NY has not felt it, many waterfowlers in other states are claiming the influx of so many new hunters is seemingly influenced by the Robertson clan. Recent surveys have reported 11% of all new hunters being females, although I don't believe all of that is because of TV, but I am sure some of it is.

More importantly is the gender shift in wildlife biologists. In recent years, most students enrolled in wildlife/fisheries studies are females and most of them never had any exposure to hunting. This trend will create a situation in the future with people with no exposure to hunting managing hunters.

Ah, I see... and understand. I have noticed this, too, as some of my female friends are becoming wildlife biologists and one is already working on a state level. Fortunately she too hunts. The others I do try to educate, and have offered to mentor through hunting, if they should desire. One friend has taken up falconry and is interested in hunting, so there is some hope (I hope)!

As an artist, I get a different sort of outreach and have touched a lot of people through my personal blogs, and have changed opinions about hunting. I don't know if it will help, but it is what I know how to do.

I sort of hope that the Duck Dynasty fad will give the Duck Stamp program a little kickback. It's hard for me to speculate upon, though.

things are so different around just this state...makes me laugh..my grandfathers wife hunted...and I have...even to my surprise met many...and I do mean many woman in their 70's and 8o's that hunted and some still do...I'm in my mid fifties and know many woman my age that hunt...and wow so many young woman that hunt...teen girls that are really into hunting...I admit I try to steer each and every one into bow if they haven't already started there....

I am reserved about the notion that TV show will have a positive influence on hunting or stamp revenue. Speaking of which, as an artist you can compete in the duck stamp art contest every year. Entry fees are put in the (federal) migratory bird conservation fund, along with stamp revenue and proceeds from the sale of prints. There is also a junior division. Details are on the US Fish and Wildlife Service website. Although NY discontinued their state migratory bird stamp (go figure - guess a few individuals decided they didn't want the fund growing too big you know...) other states issue a state stamp and have similar art contests, as a matter of fact PGC (Pennsylvania Game Commission) posted about their contest today on their facebook page.

I am reserved about the notion that TV show will have a positive influence on hunting or stamp revenue. Speaking of which, as an artist you can compete in the duck stamp art contest every year. Entry fees are put in the (federal) migratory bird conservation fund, along with stamp revenue and proceeds from the sale of prints. There is also a junior division. Details are on the US Fish and Wildlife Service website. Although NY discontinued their state migratory bird stamp (go figure - guess a few individuals decided they didn't want the fund growing too big you know...) other states issue a state stamp and have similar art contests, as a matter of fact PGC (Pennsylvania Game Commission) posted about their contest today on their facebook page.

I do compete in the Federal and several state level stamps. I made it to round 2 in the federal this year, and have placed (but not won) in NC's stamp a few times before.

PA's competition is a youth competition for school age students.

Here's my NC entry from this year, 4th place.

three_s_a_crowd___hooded_mergansers_by_n

• Like 1

People who enter duck stamp competitions pay for conservation too - thanks for the contribution and good luck!

Thank you! Competition is very tough for these. The entry fees are considerable, too ($125 for the Fed) which goes into conservation funds. I also buy duck stamps even though I am not able to hunt migratory birds yet, to support the program.

Maybe someday you'll have to sign across one of my paintings. :) I can dream, at least.