east end of long island

Rob Answer

The proplem is everytime a house is sold or bought a percentage goes to land preservation.I know in south hampton anyway so they buy a nice plot of woods and post it peconic land trust or town of south hampton with a no hunting sign . I lost 4 spots in last 2 years . Now same for east hampton but they only let residents hunt it. What really sucks is when you look in those woods now its tent city in half of them.

Reelmonsters, you bring up a good point.  I haven't seen this issue discussed on this site or anywhere just in general.  I've lost a couple of small games spots over the years to this type of thing. 

Its really a twisted situation when you think about it.  You have "environmentalists" with this pretty intelligent plan to preserve land in an area.  I believe the reasoning behind it is to protect groundwater.  But then you have hunters, who likely care more about the environment than some of the "environmentalists", who are banned from using it, for no reason at all. 

It can be frustrating on the island.  I probably should have been born somewhere else...

tell you what, if I was a home/landowner out in the villages that need deer thinned out of, last thing I would want is some hunter I don't know slinging arrows in my neighborhood.............next thing that would be needed is a lottery process followed by a shooting proficiency test, no easy, cheap answer no matter how you look at it.

• Like 1

If hunting access is being denied for no fault of the local hunting community then local sportsmen should call on the Fish and Wildlife Management Board to do what they do - work with landowners to create access. But leaving toilet paper and arrows all over is a good way to make your access disappear...

Hunters who apply for DMP and then pass up antlerless deer for a chance at a buck are not assisting with population objectives. Buck harvest, even a heavy kill, does nothing to slow population growth, as a matter of fact harvesting bucks will increase the deer population. The DEC knows this...

Edited by mike rossi
  • Like 1

That's all I hear from the LI guys I've encountered that hunts. All they want are the big racks, and the bragging rights associated with it. If there were more meat hunters hitting LI, maybe this problem wouldn't be as dire.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

On a similar note, we all have heard hunters talk about wanting to hunt between houses and malls because in the absence of hunting some bucks may have grown big. If that's the agenda of many hunters, and it is, hunting will not achieve population goals...

Besides it would be better if the non hunting public majority started to think of sport hunting as something other than an activity that serves only as deer population control. Suburban deer hunting does not allow non hunters to form a complete image of what hunting is about, and in my opinion, it creates a bad image, even if hunting is tolerated under the intent of population management.

On a similar note, we all have heard hunters talk about wanting to hunt between houses and malls because in the absence of hunting some bucks may have grown big. If that's the agenda of many hunters, and it is, hunting will not achieve population goals...

Besides it would be better if the non hunting public majority started to think of sport hunting as something other than an activity that serves only as deer population control. Suburban deer hunting does not allow non hunters to form a complete image of what hunting is about, and in my opinion, it creates a bad image, even if hunting is tolerated under the intent of population management.

You made good points in both posts. Of course there are other LI hunters as we saw on the cull thread that think LI hunters should be viewed as heroes for all they've done for the hunters image and population control.