North Facing vs South Facing Hillsides

Geno C

Just curious what others input is on the two in regards to which sides see more action and generally what times of the season. For the most part in colder temperature im sure there is more action on the south facing sides. In one of my spots upstate i hunt and have access to 100 acres but its on a north facing hill, it generally takes quite some time for the sun to hit my tree and stays quite cold on that side... Opening day i noted 16 deer total at once in 2 different fields across the road which are on a south side hill while my side was dead quite and nothing coming out into the field i was hunting. 

Two of my best stand sites are on north facing, wooded slopes. When it is cold and frosty, it seems to take forever for the sun to reach it. On these mornings I usually don't have any normal deer movement until 7:30-8:30, or even later if it is real cold.

I have never noted a difference in the amount of deer movement between north and south facing slopes, just the difference in timing. I will say, and it is probably just a coincidence, that I have definitely taken more mature bucks on these two ridges. One is a loaded with beech trees, and the other overlooks a brushy flat that is traditionally a prime spot when the bucks are actively chasing.

Think it is the leeward side of a hill (east side with a west wind, n side with a south wind, etc), until it gets real cold, then probably the s side. This way they can smell anything approaching behind them and watch everything below them. 

Edited by Localqdm

until it gets real cold, then probably the s side. This way they can smell anything approaching behind them and watch everything below them.

My property has two mountains that run north and south. I had a lot of sign that I was hunting on the eastern slope of the western mountain. A day after the snow? No daytime movement and fewer tracks than expected. I wondered if they moved to the southern facing slope of the eastern mountain. With just a handful of days left, I can't afford to continue to stare at the trees. I'm thinking I need a new game plan. Maybe still hunt the tracks that lead that direction to get me back in the game.