Long Island waterfowl hunting.

Hello Gents,

I live on the north shore of LI in bayville near oyster bay. I was just wondering what is the scoop on hunting duck/geese on western part of LI.

I already have one goose hunt provided by Elite Long Island Outfitters and man was that awesome. The guides were great and the geese were flying in by the squadrons.

So since I have now been exposed and love the hunt and calling, where do we long islanders hunt for waterfowl?

With so many people from LI asking the same question, you guys should write your regional DEC office and ask for an informational meeting or at least info. If you guys squeak enough, you can get the DEC to develop cooperative hunting areas or access - don't let the old bass turds on the NYSCC tell you there is no money, no staff and all that bull, let them fondle their crossbows and antlers and get it done by yourselves at the local grass roots level.

This revolving query is really hard to believe, because there is so much navigable water and several waterfowl organizations on LI and additionally, several retriever clubs. Also, take the DEC waterfowl identification course, the instructor may touch a bit on access.

Great idea I will call the DEC and ask the million dollar questions. Hopefully so good will prevail. I will also ask the very few that I know about hunting waterfowl that is if they even entertain my question. One guy kind of looked at me started another conversation and ignored my question. LOL

Mike could you list the waterfowl clubs that you say exist. I know of one south shore waterfowl assc. When I search for others I can't find anything. I know from experience that a club is the way to get involved meet and greet, make new friends with similar interests and above all senior members with EXPERIENCE.

It is funny how I grew up here. Practically have done everything. And this subject of waterfowl hunting and this new but long term interest Of mine is a complete mystery to me. I see duck and goose all over Mill Neck Creek, the OB harbor, beaver dam. I learned to call geese and duck by sitting and listening to them. Not to brag but my goose calling is really good. I know the mill river gun club has a blind, this year I don't know where they placed cant see it from shore. I know waterfowl hunting is alive and well but I never really new how the waterfowl society is an extremely close knit group. Don't get me wrong I can absolutely appreciate this, I can relate to this from the marine corps. Rest assure I will not quit. I will find my answers all said respectfully and I will join the elite Long Island society of waterfowlers.

Like you, I learned about duck hunting by myself . I actually started waterfowling a number of years ago, after I retired, I never cared about ducks until I got older. I learned to call like you did. I'm more of a duck caller, then a goose caller, but do both.

There are places on L.I. to waterfowl hunt from shore.. Look at the Tidal wetlands on the DEC website.. The problem CAN be since hunting from shore is limited you can get to spots to find that there are too many guys and ALL the spots taken. I used to hunt 10 am until 2 pm and most times I got spots, and ducks/geese. I got to meet a number of guys and eventually when I showed up, on the rare occasion that I got up early, I got invited in. So meeting guys is good to do. The tidal wetlands require an access permit/parking permit.. It is FREE on line and takes seconds to get.

There are some spots that a lot of guys have(me too) that  won't be shared because the space is so limited . My first year, I found a spot and  did well with greenwing teal, mallard and even a male woody. I spoke to a waterfowl guy about it, who told me not to tell anyone, or I'd have guys following me. He was joking, but I got the message.

The one thing Long Island has is WATER(ha), and there's lots of opportunity with a boat.. I kayak hunt a lot(not recommending it, but that's what I do). With a boat you have miles of hunting areas.

Watch out for local ordinances.. like HUNTINGTON, where there is NO discharge of firearms allowed.

I used to kayak fish in the back of Hempstead Harbor, south of Bar Beach. There WERE lot of duck blinds along the shore, but I don't know anything about hunting there, but might be worth your asking. I don't know if you can still duck hunt there.

I checked out, a bit , this year around Oyster Bay and found potential kayak spots, but never checked ordinances etc,., so I didn't try it.

Remember that there are a couple of parks, in Suffolk, that offer duck hunting, some of it is by  lottery.. It is shore hunting.

Thank you grey beard. I really appreciate your reply.

This past Saturday Went duck hunting out east with a guide. Boy was that fun. Learned a lot to. Reached my limit on duck and took two geese. Awesome time great people to.

I was thinking about hunting from a kyack also. I have been through the oyster bay harbor all my life so I think I could guess on the spots. However I do need to check with town of oyster bay to see about any ordinances.

Just throwing it out there. If you would like a partner I would be more than willing to go with you. I work nights so I'm game for any hunt.

Grouchy :angry:

I am afraid you are right... But I wasn't snuffing his question. As a matter of fact after his reply I compiled a list, but I am apparently blocked from pasting links. I even tried typing a few in, but clicking them produces a bogus error message. I wont type them anyway and I am not going to write out every little detail...

By the way, the DEC has a link on its website about waterfowl hunting on LI. 

Edited by mike rossi

Avibitt... I'm having a problem, at the moment, with my foot., and can't make plans.  I can't let it get cold.. it's a Frostbite result. from fishing.. so, although  I can , and do hunt and herring fish, I can only stay a short time, and have to pick my days... I'm going to have it checked again,hopefully , this week, then I'll know...

I'm getting to be an armchair hunter because of this, that's why I'm on the computer so much these days. I wanted to crow hunt today, but  when I got up, the foot was and still is a little numb so I'm not pushing it...

There was a post about whining somewhere.. I'm getting to be a pro at it .

You can pm me if you wish and maybe I can pass on some info, that may help. (I won't whine)

• Like 1