First year hunting.. playing cat and mouse

StevieSacs

This was the first year I have ever went hunting and have absolutely fallen in love with it.  Picked up a bow in late october and on my first sit ever, saw a nice 7 ptr and took a shot and missed him!  Ever since then I have passed a bunch of does been playing a game of cat and mouse with this guy.  I have seen him during the day on two other occasions, but was well outside of my range.   I keep picking him up on my trail camera and seems he has went completely nocturnal ( unfortunately I may have spooked him).  

this passed saturday night I pull into my buddies house ( where I have been hunting) to crack a few beers when I look out the window and see him... my deer just staring at me from 50 yards away on the side of his house. After looking at him for about 15 seconds,  I turn the car off and he just takes off and disappears into the woods.  I dont know if I was excited or pissed off, but was definitely cool checking him out.

I come back 4 days later to check my camera and seems he was moving around the area around 6am that day.  This buck has gotten in my head and he has my number big time!

I read a really good article on "Bowhunting" magazine about post rut hunting and nocturnal bucks slipping up in certain circumstances.   I am going to lay off the hunting pressure until one of these situations comes up, then I am going in hard.   :ph34r:

Regardless if I take him or not, the back and forth between this guy alone has been fun as hell... and just means that he will be an nice slammer next season.   

Pic of him

post-3978-0-31735200-1386869558_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Why are you passing doe? They are good practice and mighty tasty.. my brother did what you did for years waiting for buck with bow, finally convinced him to shoot a doe, now he takes a deer buck or doe just about every year he hunts with bow. If you buy your muzzleloader tag at beginning of bow you get an anterless tag valid anywhere in the state, get a doe and keep hunting for that buck on your either sex tag!! Get a few doe kills under your belt and you will be come a much better hunter and more confident as well!

Why are you passing doe? They are good practice and mighty tasty.. my brother did what you did for years waiting for buck with bow, finally convinced him to shoot a doe, now he takes a deer buck or doe just about every year he hunts with bow. If you buy your muzzleloader tag at beginning of bow you get an anterless tag valid anywhere in the state, get a doe and keep hunting for that buck on your either sex tag!! Get a few doe kills under your belt and you will be come a much better hunter and more confident as well!
but that either sex tag is only good for bow and late season not regular

But if you miss a few doe at first ..don't let it hurt your confidence....For they are a mighty foe...personally for me...they have been more of a challenge than the buck...only because once a buck has been in range pulling off a shot has been easier...

Doe have eyes in the back of their heads...radar in the tips of there ears and can read minds....lol...Glad to see you having a great time