Would like to hunt Coyotes in 3N

I'm not familiar with that WMU, but with winter snow on the ground, a little scouting and looking for tracks will give you an idea of whether hunting them there will be worthwhile. So far, I haven't run into anyone claiming that they live in an area of NYS that doesn't have any. Even the cities seem to have some.

While i have never personally seen them in Putnam, I know they are in Westchetser so they must have come from somewhere.

A coyote was found in Central Park Manhattan in the past, as well as LI recently.

I've seen a few nice sign in Putnam and soon rifle season on them will be open there. You can use Rimfire and some small centerfire now.

For Westchester, probably best bet is with the bow or air gun, as the shotgun would be tough to reach.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The last 5 or 6 years I've been seeing them come and go into the powerlines that run along Secor Rd in Mahopac, of course you can't hunt there. But I have heard of them in Ninham where you can hunt. Lived in Mahopac since early 90's, numbers were small through the 90's and up until around 6 years ago. I had heard from old timers that the area was full of game back in the 50's and 60's. Really South Putnam is a little too developed these days. Better up to in the Northern towns. Paterson is still good. Great Swamp WMA definitively has coyotes, I've seen scat and also "feather explosions" from pheasants they dined on! I think there is even a thread about yote hunting in the Region 3 forum.

Edited by sfisk

Yes, there are coyotes in Putnam and Westchester. They aren't easy to kill though. You will call in a red fox way before you call in coyote. All of the Putnam DEP lands have coyotes, some more than others.  There are also Bobcats all over Putnam and Westchester, but are rarely seen during daylight hours.

The last 5 or 6 years I've been seeing them come and go into the powerlines that run along Secor Rd in Mahopac, of course you can't hunt there.

Do you live in Mahopac?  I grew up in Mahopac and my parents still live there, a couple of miles away from the Secor area. I used to go Tony's Pizza in Secor when I was kid. It changed names a bunch of times over the years, I think it is Benvenuto's now.

You would "call" bobcats and red Fox like you would Coyote? Can you hunt dep land at night? Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

You can try a distress call that might work for any of them, however if you do some research online and watch videos, etc. you will see different approaches for calling in different species.

YES, you can hunt DEP land at night after deer seasons are over.

Dec website info:

To hunt furbearers, you need to possess a junior hunting, small game, small/big game, sportsman, super sportsman, non-resident hunting, or non-resident super sportsman license. To view season dates, season zones, and bag limits, visit the bobcat, coyote, and fox, raccoon, opossum, and weasel season pages.

People interested in trapping opportunities for these species must obtain a separate trapping license.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Dec website info:To hunt furbearers, you need to possess a junior hunting, small game, small/big game, sportsman, super sportsman, non-resident hunting, or non-resident super sportsman license. To view season dates, season zones, and bag limits, visit the bobcat, coyote, and fox, raccoon, opossum, and weasel season pages.People interested in trapping opportunities for these species must obtain a separate trapping license.Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I believe for bobcats you need a special permit. I may be wrong though

You can try a distress call that might work for any of them, however if you do some research online and watch videos, etc. you will see different approaches for calling in different species.

YES, you can hunt DEP land at night after deer seasons are over.

You can hunt DEP property at night anytime, even during deer season.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://Facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• 10 months later...

saw a coyote opening season for bow in putnam so they are def there. Saw him at first light and he was hauling I yipped at him to try and get him to stop but he wasnt having it and as quick as I saw him he was gone just as quick into the brush. Spent a few nights out in the area and would hear them at night, that was the only one I saw though. Good luck. Id love to shoot me some dogs this year but will hunt them up north, will have a better chance rather then in Putnam.

There are bears, coyotes and bobcats in 3N. Most are targets of opportunity. Most folsk just see them when they are sitting on a deer stand. Chances are you’ll see many coyotes, before a bear or bobcat. But if you put in enough days (years) one will eventually walk by.

As other have said you can just go after them, but they are not easy to call in and if you get one to come in and kill it the others quickly learn.

Lastly, as mentioned before there are lots of foxes….those buggers are kinda easy to get

ps - I live in Putnam. I heard coyotes almost every night.

Edited by mmkay