Letter to Editor

Being bombarded with that sort of thing on a daily basis does make you ask whether or not that affects defective minds?

I don't know if anything can stop those with defective minds. Loved your post. On the other side of the coin though, for the normal, does the more graphic reality of the new modern movie themes give a more realistic account of what can happen when the trigger is pulled. I can remember all those shows as a kid and I have to say I never really understood what a bullet could actually do and the results until I went hunting with Dad. I guess some could make a point that a shooting was glamorized back them without the reality of the action.

I do agree with the point that the theme back then was the morality of what was going on rather than the act of shooting itself. But that was just reinforced by family values then too, something that seems to be missing in our modern era in many of these shooting cases. Never seems to be the well adjusted person doing this stuff and they just went off.

........On the other side of the coin though, for the normal, does the more graphic reality of the new modern movie themes give a more realistic account of what can happen when the trigger is pulled. I can remember all those shows as a kid and I have to say I never really understood what a bullet could actually do and the results until I went hunting with Dad.......

Back in the olden days when I took my  rifle hunter safety training, Our instructors made sure we understood what a bullet (12 gauge slug to be precise) could do to the human body by showing some very gruesome detailed pictures. That was the right message, in the right context, with the right impact, and was aimed specifically at hunter safety. Of course if that were to be done today, you would have a mob scene of angry parents on your doorstep. No problems with having little Johnny sit down every week watching somebody on Criminal Minds cutting eyes out their live victims or eviscerating some lady while she begs for her life, or any number of other atrocities that they depict each week.