State land access(sp)

Hidehunter12

The peice of state land that i hunt is in catt.county nearest town is great valley,well i went for a ride sunday morning and they had the road gated off well over a mile from where we normally park which is odd because it was not like that year and its a logging road that was just regrated last year de to logging of the one section of pine tree's.Im kinda complaining because are tax dallors and lis.fees go twards the state lands and such and now it makes for a even longer walk to the area i like to hunt which was about 3/4-1 mile away from wear we wold normally park.im hoping its a blessing in camo because i dont think most gys are gonna be willing to walk the 2+miles back to the hardwoods i normaly hunt.we scene 2 decent bucks up there on sunday along with numerous scrapes and rutting stations.

This is DEC's way of protesting their budget cuts.  In some areas, local townships have stepped up to offer road maintenance and patrols where DEC no longer has the money or personnel.  

Make sure your state assembly person and state senator know of the issue; also your county sportsmen's federation.  

Personally, I kind of like hunting where people are forced to walk in further--until it comes time to drag your kill out! What's the point of being in the woods if you can drive right to your hunting spot?  But everyone should have at least some access, especially the elderly, handicapped veterans, etc.  

i thought about just driving around the gate thru the woods but theres no path wide enought for my f-150 and they have the polls that support the gate filled with concrete.it sucks because there's not alot of state land around anymore and seeing as we own only 5 acres in perrysburg its too small to put 4 guys on.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice the new signage being put up?? On parcels I know are state forest land, with 'State Forest Preserve' signs now have new signs added, that look like the NYC Watershed signs saying Hiking, hunting allowed.. Whats the deal with them, and what was wrong with the old traditional signs??