Any ideas

stoneam2006

So I bought my wife and kids a puppy its a 11 week old redbone. I've got it peeing outside pretty good but it will not poop outdoors. Any ideas I've had a lot of dogs but never had to break one in winter I think its affecting him bc he will poop in my garage. Any ideas or suggestions thanks in advance. Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I always just kept taking them outside often, every 30 minutes in the start and reward him with a treat if he goes . My dog is super treat driven but he listens to everything we tell him. He just needs to figure out what you want from him, hound dogs are very smart .

• Like 1

Yes I am crate training but bc my wife is a stay at home mom my dog doesn't have to be in there much bc we are always home. I have been taking him out alot every time he gets up (pretty lazy pup sleeps almost all day) we reward with treats and he's got the concept bc now as soon as we come back in he's waiting. I can take him out he won't poop but come in thru my garage and he will in there instantly. Idk

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

What lurking wrote.

If the crate is properly set up for the pup's size, he will do anything to avoid doing it in the crate. They usually have to do their thing not long after eating. After you feed him put him back in the crate for 10 minutes or so. Then bring him right outside. If he doesn't go, put him right back in the crate. Repeat every 10 minutes until he goes. (When he does go outside, make sure to give a reward).

Some dogs are a little more stubborn and it takes more work. You do need to nip this in the bud right away as once they get the hang of going inside, it is very hard to fix.

repetition... just keep taking the dog outside often to make. if he goes to the bathroom acknowledge it in a good way with the tone of your voice so he knows he did a good thing and keep at it. it is tough being in the winter, i get that.  i know its cold but be out there with him around off the leash. clear areas of snow away, if the snow is to deep he might not want to be there in it. i plow areas of snow away for the dogs only because the wife has a 4lb dog and gets cold and doesnt like to go in the deeper snow. my dog will do anything, shes good lol

but keep at it

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another suggestion if it's not too late next time he poops keep it, when you take him out for a walk leave it in common areas where he might pee.. He'll sniff at it and eventually realize that those are "the places" to use the bathroom..

I also agree with geno.. Positive reinforcement is the best thing you can do once all is said and done just make sure you have a treat or two handy when you take him out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another suggestion if it's not too late next time he poops keep it, when you take him out for a walk leave it in common areas where he might pee.. He'll sniff at it and eventually realize that those are "the places" to use the bathroom.. I also agree with geno.. Positive reinforcement is the best thing you can do once all is said and done just make sure you have a treat or two handy when you take him outSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I did and it worked been pretty good about it for a few weeks now

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk