A True Turkey Tale

noodle one

This story was told to me by an old friend who passed away last fall, so I guess I can tell it on here now. The turkey hunt took place about 15 years ago.. You had to know this man and that he would not say something if it was untrue. I knew him to be one of the better turkey hunters around who always got his birds in the spring season and they were always mature birds.He didn't tell this story to many people because he knew that some people would not believe him. This man would not say sh#% if he had a mouth full or would he willing break any laws.

He told me that year that he took a nice gobbler on the first day and then waited for the third week to go after his second. He said the turkeys had shut down and the hunting was slow with no gobbleing. He checked the usual spots with no luck,but this didn't stop him because he always knew of a couple of places were other hunters wouldn't walk in that far back  and he aways could find birds there. He told me he had two or three places like that. So one morrning he made the walk in. It took him a good hour to get back in there and set up. He set back about twenty or so yards from the steep ridge that he knew the turkeys would holding out below him. there was a woodes road or fire trial off to his right on the flat that he was on. He said that most years the the turkeys would come straight up the hill when called to. He gave some calls with no answers and this he said, he did for about an hour or so. This didn't stop him because he aways had a bag of tricks when turkey hunting that he knew if they were there would make them gobble. He did this call and got a gobble right back at him. He worked this bird for a good hour without the bird making a move, then the bird shut up and he knew the bird was on it way to him. Not a sound for 15 min. and then a gobble that was off to his right and half way up the hill to him. So he swung to his right to get a shot when the bird came over the ridge. About 10 to 15 yards in front of him was a bush in his line. of sight and about 25 yards the other side of the bush up stepped not one but two mature gobblers side by side. They stepped on to woods road and turned and came straght at him. side by side one on the right side of the bush and  the on the left side. He told me that there had to be 2 or 3 feet between them. He aimed for the one on the right and shot  and both birds went down. the bird on the left was stone dead still and the one on the right was flopping all over the place, that was the bird he was aiming at.. He checked the birds out and both of them were dead. He had killed two birds with one shot. Two birds that had been side by side with 2 to 3 feet between then, not one in front of the other. He checked the bush and saw that he had hit a couple of branches  and a BB must have shot left hitting the other bird that he was not aiming at and dropped him stone dead. He wasn't going to leave a bird lay and took both birds out with him. He also said that he never wanted to have carry two birds out again along with his gun being that far away from his truck. he said he had to stop and rest many times with it being a hot day in May. He told me that he thought about calling a game warden and telling what had happen , but he thought the game warden wouldn't believe him ,so he called another friend who he knew that had not gotten a bird and gave it to him to have and tag.I know where this man was hunting and it is a long walk and I know I wouldn't want to be carry two birds out from there. If you liked this story let me because I have another one about him and not about 2 birds but 4 birds. I know that is true because I was there.

• Like 1

Nice  story.I got a buddy like that. I watched him shoot a doe one year and the one he shot and one about 30 feet to the right dropped with it. The bullet went through the first doe hit an oke tree which sent it sideways and into the other. Wierd things happen when hunting. Just shows how carefull we need to be when out there shooting we never know what will happen after the trigger pull no matter how sure we are. Stories like your friends are what makes huntint hunting. It is about the experiences we have in the woods not just about what we kill or don't kill. Keep them comeing