Finally tagged out

alloutdoors

Well, it's been a while since I was still hunting for myself this late in the season. The last few years I've been averaging a bird for every two days hunted, but it's been fun to have a longer season too. A few days ago I had this bird and his buddy at 60 yards in an open field at about 9:00 but they had a hen with them and I couldn't get them any closer. This morning I slipped in under their roost and got it done nice and early. It was about 4:15 when I parked, and there were distant flashes of lightning to the north and south, thankfully though the storms stayed away. The spot where the birds roost is just off the back of a plowed field, they usually hit the ground just inside the edge in a nice open piece of hardwoods and then make their way to the field. I set some decoys out in the field and then got set up about eight steps inside the woods facing away from the field and toward where I expected the birds to be. I figured I would either get a shot at them when they hit their strutting area or I could turn around and shoot them in the decoys if they made it past me (or flew out into the field). I didn't have long to wait before I heard the first hen start calling, she sounded like she was inside 30 yards up in her tree. I answered with a few soft yelps, pretty much just to be able to say I had called. Within a few minutes both gobblers joined in as well. At about 5:20 they both flew down and this one landed within range. The dot on my Fastfire was already on his head when his feet hit the ground and a load of HW7's ended both my morning and season.

18lbs, 10" beard, 15/16" spurs

_Q7Q8062_zpsdf2f5d60.jpg

_Q7Q8101_zps5e2957c2.jpg

My view looking into the woods from where I was sitting, the field with my decoys is to my back. The bird landed right in the middle of this clearing.

_Q7Q8104_zpsa10fb8bb.jpg

Lots of sign out in the field.

_Q7Q8109_zps63f80d00.jpg

Edited by alloutdoors
  • Like 3