Mourning doves are the number one game animal in the USA. Despite this, there are eight lower contiguous states that do not allow dove hunting. Dove legislation has been introduced in NY since at least 1990, possibly longer. According to the DEC’s website a number of dove bills have been introduced over the years; however not a single dove bill has ever been moved forward for vote. Based on the responses the DEC received to three dove hunting -related questions included as part of a larger survey of small game hunters; the DEC speculates that NY hunters do not have experience with dove hunting and therefore have not generated enough political support for dove hunting. Lawmakers offer a similar perspective which resonates with that of the DEC.  According to one high ranking state senator his office receives many letters and/or petitions opposing dove hunting and very seldom hears from anyone who supports dove hunting. This same senator was convinced by anti-hunters who have contacted him, that doves were not edible. 

We have created an online presence using email newsletters, a website, two Facebook pages, a YouTube channel, and two Google Plus pages. The purpose of these online presences is to inform policy makers, build political support for dove hunting, engage & organize aspiring dove hunters and encourage ethical hunting practices, attitudes and behaviors.

The link to the NY Dove Hunting website is www.NYDoveHunting.weebly.com. From there; you can go to our Facebook, YouTube and Google Plus pages.

A focused and factually correct response from sportsmen to lawmakers, newspapers and the DEC can drive the establishment of a mourning dove hunting season.  

Our online articles provide talking points so that sportsmen can address the controversy surrounding dove hunting in a focused and factually accurate manner.

NY Dove Hunting also aims to interest hunters and aspiring hunters in dove hunting.

NY Dove Hunting also functions to organize, engage and keep hunters informed about dove hunting initiatives.  To accomplish these functions, we need sportsmen to join our network by liking our Facebook pages and subscribing to our YouTube Channel. 

• Like 3

I'm sure the lack of support relates to the nature and public perceptions of doves. Such a nice looking bird with the symbology of gentleness and peace. And that soothing "cooing" sound that they make....lol. I'm guessing it is all those touchy-feely reasons and nothing based on sport hunting. It would be like legalizing hunting bluebirds .... lol. I sympathize with your efforts to establish a season, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. You know the kind of thing you are up against. When you take on emotion, usually it is emotion that wins.

• Like 2

I'm sure the lack of support relates to the nature and public perceptions of doves. Such a nice looking bird with the symbology of gentleness and peace. And that soothing "cooing" sound that they make....lol. I'm guessing it is all those touchy-feely reasons and nothing based on sport hunting. It would be like legalizing hunting bluebirds .... lol. I sympathize with your efforts to establish a season, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. You know the kind of thing you are up against. When you take on emotion, usually it is emotion that wins.

Doc, Aren't you currently flaming 2 other members on one of the thousand safe act threads about this very defeatist attitude you are giving Mike?

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22790-the-tide-is-turning/page__view__findpost__p__303727

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22790-the-tide-is-turning/page__view__findpost__p__303764

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Mourning doves are the number one game animal in the USA. Despite this, there are eight lower contiguous states that do not allow dove hunting. Dove legislation has been introduced in NY since at least 1990, possibly longer. According to the DEC’s website a number of dove bills have been introduced over the years; however not a single dove bill has ever been moved forward for vote. Based on the responses the DEC received to three dove hunting -related questions included as part of a larger survey of small game hunters; the DEC speculates that NY hunters do not have experience with dove hunting and therefore have not generated enough political support for dove hunting. Lawmakers offer a similar perspective which resonates with that of the DEC. According to one high ranking state senator his office receives many letters and/or petitions opposing dove hunting and very seldom hears from anyone who supports dove hunting. This same senator was convinced by anti-hunters who have contacted him, that doves were not edible.

We have created an online presence using email newsletters, a website, two Facebook pages, a YouTube channel, and two Google Plus pages. The purpose of these online presences is to inform policy makers, build political support for dove hunting, engage & organize aspiring dove hunters and encourage ethical hunting practices, attitudes and behaviors.

The link to the NY Dove Hunting website is www.NYDoveHunting.weebly.com. From there; you can go to our Facebook, YouTube and Google Plus pages.

A focused and factually correct response from sportsmen to lawmakers, newspapers and the DEC can drive the establishment of a mourning dove hunting season.

Our online articles provide talking points so that sportsmen can address the controversy surrounding dove hunting in a focused and factually accurate manner.

NY Dove Hunting also aims to interest hunters and aspiring hunters in dove hunting.

NY Dove Hunting also functions to organize, engage and keep hunters informed about dove hunting initiatives. To accomplish these functions, we need sportsmen to join our network by liking our Facebook pages and subscribing to our YouTube Channel.

Mike I gotta say I try to like each one of your informative posts, you are a beacon of reason, discourse and sanity in a wilderness of delusion and hyperbole. Thanks.

Edited by Meat Manager

Doc, Aren't you currently flaming 2 other members on one of the thousand safe act threads about this very defeatist attitude you are giving Mike?

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22790-the-tide-is-turning/page__view__findpost__p__303727

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22790-the-tide-is-turning/page__view__findpost__p__303764

Possibly. Does it bother you that I might have two entirely different opinions on two entirely different subjects?

• Like 1

Possibly. Does it bother you that I might have two entirely different opinions on two entirely different subjects?

I'm not trying to jack this thread, but you lament others for having discouraging attitudes and then you turn around and have one.

Edited by Meat Manager

I'm not trying to jack this thread, but you lament others for having discouraging attitudes and then you turn around and have one.

If you have a personal beef with me, please spare the other members by taking it off-line and I will engage you there.

If you have a personal beef with me, please spare the other members by taking it off-line and I will engage you there.

Is that a threat?

You spew crap into the air all day and night and sometimes you get busted being a big fat hypocrite.

Mike posts these awesome informative link/document driven threads that get almost no play while many of you guys jack each other over who hates the gov more.

Then you finally post on one to tell him, "nice try kid."

Edited by Meat Manager

Is that a threat?

You spew crap into the air all day and night and sometimes you get busted being a big fat hypocrite.

Mike posts these awesome informative link/document driven threads that get almost no play while you guys jack each other over who hates the gov more.

Then you finally post on one to tell him, "nice try kid."

You really are going off the deep end aren't you?..... lol. That's ok. Make a jerk of yourself if you wish. I never saw a meltdown like this before. It's actually kind of interesting to watch.

You really are going off the deep end aren't you?..... lol. That's ok. Make a jerk of yourself if you wish. I never saw a meltdown like this before. It's actually kind of interesting to watch.

Huh...I'm just calling you out specifically for posting discouraging comments in the same 24hr period that you twice called other members "whining thumb suckers" for having the same attitude on a different topic nearer to your cranky old heart.

Edited by Meat Manager

Huh...I'm just calling you out specifically for posting discouraging comments in the same 24hr period that you twice called other members "whining thumb suckers" for having the same attitude on a different topic nearer to your cranky old heart.

First of all, I never said that a dove season flat out cannot happen. I said I have my doubts and explained why. The example that you are desperately trying to use was a total denial that the voting system can ever work. Try to get some sense of scale before making your screwball comments .... lol. On the other hand, never mind, You will never understand the difference, and I'm tiring of trying to explain it to you. You are more interested in personal attacks than in discussion and I'm tiring of giving you the attention that you apparently desperately need but don't deserve.

First of all, I never said that a dove season flat out cannot happen. I said I have my doubts and explained why. The example that you are desperately trying to use was a total denial that the voting system can ever work. Try to get some sense of scale before making your screwball comments .... lol. On the other hand, never mind, You will never understand the difference, and I'm tiring of trying to explain it to you. You are more interested in personal attacks than in discussion and I'm tiring of giving you the attention that you apparently desperately need but don't deserve.

Attention seeker...that's rich coming from a guy with 8700 posts on a hunting forum and not one live from the stand report or harvest post in years.

Atleast this is keeping mikes informative thread at the top of the timeline for a change...sorry about this mike, I'm done.

Edited by Meat Manager

What better way to end all hunting than by attrition? And what better facilitation of attrition than prohibiting the harvest of the nations number one game animal? Number one game animal in the USA is the mourning dove - even factoring the eight states that do not allow hunting for them.

Hey Mike, Is it true (I hope so cause I've been saying it for years!) that more shotgun shells are shot by dove hunters than all other shotgun hunting combined?

And more doves are shot than all other game birds combined?

Fun facts........true or not?

Hey Mike, Is it true (I hope so cause I've been saying it for years!) that more shotgun shells are shot by dove hunters than all other shotgun hunting combined?

And more doves are shot than all other game birds combined?

Fun facts........true or not?

The decades worth of surveys done by the states and the FWS all conclude that dove hunting is the most popular and most participated form of hunting in the USA, and more doves are bagged than any other game. The outdoor writers like to fixate on the difficulty of hitting doves and cite that as the reason ammo is burned; but the biggest reason is that there are many birds and many hunters. Fewer hunters hunt grouse and less grouse are encountered by hunters, so less shots are fired in grouse hunting. Same with all the other game. If hunters went one shot per dove, dove hunters would still shoot 20 million to 25 million times each year. I doubt grouse hunters shoot at grouse 20 million times every year.... Ditto for other game.

Edited by mike rossi

Dove hunting is one of the most enjoyable hunts a guy could ever do. Fine weather, lots of birds, light recoiling guns, side by side with a buddy sometimes and humbling little feathered rockets. Toss in a black lab and you can not ask for a more enjoyable time!

• Like 1

I'm sure the lack of support relates to the nature and public perceptions of doves. Such a nice looking bird with the symbology of gentleness and peace. And that soothing "cooing" sound that they make....lol. I'm guessing it is all those touchy-feely reasons and nothing based on sport hunting. It would be like legalizing hunting bluebirds .... lol. I sympathize with your efforts to establish a season, but I don't hold out a lot of hope. You know the kind of thing you are up against. When you take on emotion, usually it is emotion that wins.

Doc,

You cant compare blue birds with mourning doves. That is about as unscientific as you can get. Even from a hunters perspective, anyone who has paid attention to either bird species is aware of how they differ and can perceive the sporting qualities of doves even if they never hunted them. We are not out to change the world - if a dove season started this September nary a non hunter would notice. This is only an issue because some people choose to make it one...

• Like 3

Unless it gobbles or has horns, most hunters don't have an opinion or interest in dove hunting.

That is not true across the nation. Mourning doves are the number one game animal in the USA. NY hunters generally do not have experience with dove hunting and relatively large dove populations are fairly recent in the state. Your statement resonates with the conclusions of the DEC. However, those conclusions are based on two dove-related survey questions included on a broader survey and one additional question a year or two later on the same survey. I don't think it is a surprise that when a person is  asked a question they are not informed about, that they decline to answer.

Furthermore, the annual national survey of wildlife-dependent recreation performed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the survey of hunting participation performed by the US Census Bureau both indicate the largest growing segment of people who hunt are Hispanics. Hispanics are culturally connected to dove hunting. These surveys have not yet started to evaluate the growing locavore/foodie movement.It is common sense that people who hunt entirely for food do not want to eat only venison but varied wild meats. We have also discovered many NY residents who are Maltese-Americans have experience hunting old-world doves and support dove hunting in NY.  

Currently, in addition to the efforts of NYDH, the NY State Conservation Council passed a resolution to establish a dove hunting season. Additionally, according to their online memos, another entity, the NY Conservation Fund Advisory Board is developing a mourning dove management plan. Notice I emphasize that this is according to their online memos, reason being wildlife plans are outside of their scope and expertise, but whatever.

What the DEC and NY politicians are concerned about is not the level of support for dove hunting; but the level of opposition to it. In 2006 the HSUS collected about 271,000 petition signatures in Michigan to put a referendum to ban dove hunting on the ballot during the general election. Although the HSUS succeeded in Michigan they made the same attempt in Rhode Island a year or so later, and failed. Recently NY issued a public review of their mute swan management plan. As a result of the public review received the DEC announced they are revising the plan to remove strategies involving lethal control including setting a hunting season. This shows the antis are organized in NY and can gather many petition signatures in this state. Interestingly, mute swans are one of the HSUS favorites and yet the HSUS stayed away from this one and the lobby was by local grass root anti hunting organizations. I believe, as arrogant as this sounds, that the HSUS did not want to deal with NYDH. We speculate that they will be emboldened by the success of the grass roots organizations and will become involved when the revised mute swan plan is again opened for public comment, which should be in the next few weeks, by the way. If the HSUS does in fact make its grand appearance, we are going to consider that proof we (initially) deterred them. 

The mute swan, unlike the mourning dove, has been classified as a game bird in NY since 1970 and therefore the DEC certainly has the authority to set a hunting season for them without approval from the legislature and governor. FYI: In your state of New Jersey, a few years ago, mourning doves were classified as game birds, although no hunting season has been set. Few hunters in NY have been aware mute swans were classed as game since 1970 and I suspect few NJ hunters are aware of the recent reclassification of mourning doves in the Garden State.

Edited by mike rossi

Doc,

You cant compare blue birds with mourning doves. That is about as unscientific as you can get. Even from a hunters perspective, anyone who has paid attention to either bird species is aware of how they differ and can perceive the sporting qualities of doves even if they never hunted them. We are not out to change the world - if a dove season started this September nary a non hunter would notice. This is only an issue because some people choose to make it one...

I know that. I can't compare them to bluebirds, but then it isn't me that is standing in the way. And if you re-read my comment, you will see that I am not advocating that comparison of the two species. I am simply trying to answer the question posed in the title of this thread. There are organizations that prey on this ignorance to whip public opinion up against any such attempts to expand hunting of any sort. To your average person, their only experience with mourning doves  is watching them at the bird feeder and their association of them with "song-birds". You asked the question as to why NY doesn't have a dove season, and I offer these non-scientific but very real emotional forces as being a possible reason. Frankly, what other possible reasons could there be?

So if you are trying to establishing a dove season, it is these kinds of emotional reactions that you first have to deal with. I believe those are the real road-blocks that have to be worked around or removed before you can proceed. How do you do that? ..... beats me. Probably the answer lies more with "moving around" the road blocks than trying to pull them down. Quiet, covert, side-stepping has a whole lot less to do with changing human nature and probably has the best chance of success.....lol.

Mike,

Mourning dove has been a game bird in NJ for as long as I've conversed with game biologists there. There just isn't an open hunting season for them. Like New York, there is no interest being driven by hunters in New Jersey, unlike in other parts of the nation.

Mike,

Mourning dove has been a game bird in NJ for as long as I've conversed with game biologists there. There just isn't an open hunting season for them. Like New York, there is no interest being driven by hunters in New Jersey, unlike in other parts of the nation.

In the past there was quite a bit of interest in a hunting season for mourning  doves in that state. You didn't say when NJ designated mourning doves as game, but I am almost positive it was only three or four years ago.

In the eighties deer management changed when biologists learned they could kill many more deer than previously believed. During that era deer hunting, and in particular, bowhunting for deer,  became very popular in NJ and interest in other game waned. Since that time NJ legalized deer baiting; crossbows, bear hunting; bobcat and coyote harvest; and wild turkey hunting was in its infancy in NJ. Those six regulations changes  would have been considered very radical in that state not long before; so I do not doubt that there was an attitude change toward dove hunting. You would think with the crowded hunting conditions in that state, a minority of sportsmen there would realize the value of having a season for doves which relatively few would participate in.

I know that. I can't compare them to bluebirds, but then it isn't me that is standing in the way. And if you re-read my comment, you will see that I am not advocating that comparison of the two species. I am simply trying to answer the question posed in the title of this thread. There are organizations that prey on this ignorance to whip public opinion up against any such attempts to expand hunting of any sort. To your average person, their only experience with mourning doves  is watching them at the bird feeder and their association of them with "song-birds". You asked the question as to why NY doesn't have a dove season, and I offer these non-scientific but very real emotional forces as being a possible reason. Frankly, what other possible reasons could there be?

So if you are trying to establishing a dove season, it is these kinds of emotional reactions that you first have to deal with. I believe those are the real road-blocks that have to be worked around or removed before you can proceed. How do you do that? ..... beats me. Probably the answer lies more with "moving around" the road blocks than trying to pull them down. Quiet, covert, side-stepping has a whole lot less to do with changing human nature and probably has the best chance of success.....lol.

Doc,

Historically whenever dove hunting is proposed in any state, there has been opposition. As we stated, the antis will try to influence politicians and public opinion. In order for a dove season to pass, supporters must win the public opinion battle.

It is not impossible to overcome emotional reaction. As you pointed out, a frequent tactic of anti dove hunters is comparing mourning doves with other birds that frequent suburban areas and/or bird feeders. The best way to diffuse that style of arguing is to describe how mourning doves differ from whatever species they are being compared with.

It was never recent. Mourning dove has always had a "game bird" status in New Jersey. Game status affords "protection" through the establishment of season dates and bag limits.There is no open hunting season for dove, hence it is protected.

PS - In an analysis put forth back in 2006 by the NJ Sportsmens Federation & NJDFG&W, it was estimated that less than 7,000 hunters would pursue dove in New Jersey based upon the number of upland & migratory hunters. And because both groups have a limited war chest, it was not feasible to move forward with a hunt because of the anticipated lawsuits that would be mounted by various anti-hunting groups. Fear of being sued is a great motivator when the funds aren't available, and the hunters so few. 

The law suits that you refer to are not for money, they are seeking court injunctions to delay hunts until an EAS and/or an EIS can be completed. Granted, that can divert the work duties of staff from other duties, but it should not be characterized  as if a wildlife agency is digging into a war chest. The Federation would be another matter.

Although the HSUS pulled that hat trick in NJ with the bear season, and they have done it elsewhere, including against the USFWS; the courts, at least on the appeals, have rejected these kinds of complaints over and over to the point that this legal maneuver  ( an embellishment modeled after stipulations in the endangered species act) is no longer viable for anti hunting organizations, including the HSUS. Case Law would be researched by the defendant's attorney and presented to the judge. That case law would show a series of precedence which these complaints are rejected or thrown out on appeal. Furthermore, the information compiled on our website and facebook page is sufficient for court defense and then some. There is enough info on them to file a motion to dismiss which probably would be granted.

About an hour ago I emailed Andrew Barnett, it will be interesting to hear what he says about the situation in your state.

Edited by mike rossi