Turkey hunted last weekend

First-light

Got up to the cabin for a Sunday morning hunt with Zach. We didn't hear any birds until 9:30 two Tom's off to our right about 100 yards or so. We worked the calls and thought they were coming closer but no. We moved a bit closer and up a ridge. Again they kept sounding back to us but we couldn't budge them. We gave up around 11:30. Headed back to camp and met my neighbor and told him the story. He looks at me and says you sure those weren't Chucks birds? I found out the neighbor behind me has a Tom and a hen penned up on his property………..so much for that. lol

• Like 1

I did that myself many years ago. It had to be the early 80's and I hunted that bird HARD, he'd gobble pretty darn good for me, sometimes I'd think he were coming, other times he was walking away.  Finally after a couple hours I said the heck with it, I'll drive around the one road and see if I could get permission to sneak in a different route.  Boy was I surprised to see a penned bird, back from the road enough that you'd think it was "my bird".

Shaking my head still on that one.............................. :fie:

Edited by Lawdwaz