First time bear hunter

Nowak8510

Find the local mail man and UPS delivery ppl in the area you plan on hunting...assuming it's private land...I can not tell you how helpful those ppl can be in your scouting efforts...other than that feet to ground...food...high claw marks...prints scat..smells like pig manure...honey bee trees...from a distance they will be stained dark under where there entry is...here they do like there wht pines....in ag. country hit the local dinner and chat ppl up...another great source...farmers won't hesitate to complain about trampled crops past and present.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

control your scent, you can try scouting i usually will throw up a tree stand if i find a fresh pile of bear skat.  Let me tell you what it feels like when your stalking through the woods and you come across a big ass pile of bear skat.  Its a very creepy feeling.  Not like hunting deer at all.  In fact its pretty friggin terrifying and anyone that says different is full of it.  If you don't get scared of an animal like that then you sir have some brass tacs.  I have been hearing all kinds of stories including multiple ones of guys getting charged by a black bear and shooting them dead in there tracks.  While i would never contest a story like that it does make you wonder if they are out for blood or just investigating a smell they picked up on.  Regardless i don't think i would take the time to wait and find out.  You can try a skreetch call however remember you are making the sound of a dying wounded small animal.  If it spots you and connects that sound directly to you then there is a chance its going to think your in fact wounded and at that point it will make a decision weather or not to go into a full charge due to your size and injury or a slow cautious approach due to poor eye sight and plain curiosity.  I use a 30-06 in 220 grain or a ballistic silver tip 150g.  Make your shots count and remember to practice standing shots at your local range.  The last thing you want to worry about when yogi comes out from under a downed tree branch is weather or not you can make the shot but rather what its gonna feel like on your bare feet in the morning when you turn that big bastard into a dagone rug!

• Like 1

You’re actually late. You should have scouted as much property as you can get to in July/August. This said, if you only have limited time and haven’t already scouted and found a few bears, find 3 or more parcels within a hr drive (usually means state land). Start walking!

You want to find sign (bear crap, berries, farmers field or other natural food. Once you found sign, look for the trails they travel…i.e.. Into a low area, swamp, evergreens, etc… set up on the trail from where they spend the day. They’ll move within a few hours of dark to feed.

Bears are large greasy raccoons…nothing more. They’ll shit their pants and run from you if they know you are there or were there. DON’T let them know you were ever there! Control your scent, use a tree stand….ground blinds can spoke them…they’ll know it’s new to the area

I’ve never been scared when I found bear crap. However, I’m always scared when I walk up on a cub and don’t know where mom is.

also - if you get a shot, make sure the front leg is extended forward. If it is the shoulder bone won't block the shot into the vitals. bears are sometimes real hard to kill.

Good luck

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Guys, bears, next to rabbits are the easiest animal to kill. Often when shot with an arrow they go 15-30 yards. I'm not even sure how that's possible but I've shot a bunch w a bow n that's what happened.

Gun shots normally flatten em, longest I've seen one go was 75 yards.

Any further it was a bad hit n I dont recall many being found even tracking them w bear hounds.

I used to skin for 2 bear camps up north n I've hunted them all over. Been on a lot of recovery jobs. Hope that clears things up.

Edited by Bowguy

Guys, bears, next to rabbits are the easiest animal to kill. Often when shot with an arrow they go 15-30 yards. I'm not even sure how that's possible but I've shot a bunch w a bow n that's what happened.

Gun shots normally flatten em, longest I've seen one go was 75 yards.

Any further it was a bad hit n I dont recall many being found even tracking them w bear hounds.

I used to skin for 2 bear camps up north n I've hunted them all over. Been on a lot of recovery jobs. Hope that clears things up.

Thats been my experience too, they die easy