Called in a buck

nybuckboy

Last Wednesday I decide to make a push to a friend and was going to make a wide round circle and stay about 30-50 yds inside the field edge. After I got away from my friend several hundred yards I decide to walk with the small doe bleat can in my hand and every 50 or so steps turn the bleat can over once. Sure enough not to far into my walk as I was heading down into a gully... from across the gully I hear walking and tending grunts. The buck was coming down the opposite side of the gully so I stood next to a tree and waited for him to come into sight. With snow the ground and with binos I could see a deer and identify horns through the trees. I dropped down on one knee and raised my rifle and through scope could see what he was. Turns out be small 8 with decent G2's (5-6") but just a crab claws on each side. I decided to let him go and he kept coming up my side of the gully saw me and took off. When I got down in the bottom of the gully I was overcome with the raunchy smell of rutting buck.

I decide to continue my slow push and turn the bleat can over every 50 or so steps and didn't realize that at some point I began to push 8 doe ahead of me because when I got back to my friends stand he said - "well that worked out well, you pushed out 8 doe. They would only trot about 100 feet or so and turn around and look back, then trot another 100 feet and turn around and look back then finally they ran off." He said that I only came into sight not a minute after they fled.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

Last Wednesday I decide to make a push to a friend and was going to make a wide round circle and stay about 30-50 yds inside the field edge. After I got away from my friend several hundred yards I decide to walk with the small doe bleat can in my hand and every 50 or so steps turn the bleat can over once. Sure enough not to far into my walk as I was heading down into a gully... from across the gully I hear walking and tending grunts. The buck was coming down the opposite side of the gully so I stood next to a tree and waited for him to come into sight. With snow the ground and with binos I could see a deer and identify horns through the trees. I dropped down on one knee and raised my rifle and through scope could see what he was. Turns out be small 8 with decent G2's (5-6") but just a crab claws on each side. I decided to let him go and he kept coming up my side of the gully saw me and took off. When I got down in the bottom of the gully I was overcome with the raunchy smell of rutting buck.

I decide to continue my slow push and turn the bleat can over every 50 or so steps and didn't realize that at some point I began to push 8 doe ahead of me because when I got back to my friends stand he said - "well that worked out well, you pushed out 8 doe. They would only trot about 100 feet or so and turn around and look back, then trot another 100 feet and turn around and look back then finally they ran off." He said that I only came into sight not a minute after they fled.

Exciting!!!!

19 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

Nice job!! Im gonna try this tomorrow, I think while doin a little still hunting.  So, you only turned the can over 1x per call or did you do a few in a row? Everey 50 steps or so you would do this? Sounds like a lot to me , but ill try it.  Do you think it may spook them . though , doing ti so often?  Great post :)