What would you buy first

DirtyDan

Most places near NYC are restricted to bow or shotgun so if you're looking to purchase ONE firearm to hunt near NYC then the shotgun is a must.

You need your hunting license.  A decent backpack to carry these minimal items:

skinning knife

compass

map of the area you're going to be at.  Most of the woods near NYC are not thousands of acres so a decent map and compass and some hiking will get you out of the woods easily.  Also most hunting areas near NYC has phone service.

bottle of water

I always carry a firestarter in case of emergency and a first aid kit (4 years and I've only used that stuff once...when another hunter I bumped into had a scraped his finger and I gave him a Band-Aid).

Good comfortable boots.

warm clothing.  preferably camo.

hunter orange vest/clothing.

a drag rope for when you succeed.

I think anything beyond that it's just to enhance your success rate and experience.

lurking makes a good point.  You walk outside and you don't think it's that cold but when you're sitting stationary for a few hours...it gets ridiculously cold.  When you walk out of your warm car or your warm house to get a feel the temp, prepare as if it'll be 5 to 10 degrees colder.  That said, the hike to your spot will raise you body temperature so you'll sweat and sweating in the cold is really bad so laying is always a good idea.  That's why my back pack is always big enough to fit a sweatshirt so I can add or remove a layer.

1) Quality, warm boots are the most importatnt thing aside from your firearm, sometimes more important.  You'll want tall boots that provide warm, support and flexibilty.  The last two seem oxymoronic, but unless you're hunting a fields or plains, you'll encounted a myriad of terrain.  You need the support to avoid rolling an ankle, which can be a huge problem in the middle of the woods.

2) Sharp knife.  It doesnt need to be a Rambo knife, just big enough to dress your game.

3) Travel size pack of wipes - you know why.

I agree with this point 200%. I see more guys carrying knives with blades that are way overkill. My favorite knife to carry has a fixed blade 3-1/2" long and only about 1/2" deep.

I totally agree. My favorite fixed blade for outdoors is my esee izula 2, it's blade is 2.6 inches

I was caught out in the open once while scouting.  3 does showed up and started eating 20 to 30 yards from me as I stood motionless like a statue.  I was wearing blue jeans and a light blue sweat shirt.  It was until one of the deer came within 10 yards before she realized I wasn't a tree.