2010 Waterfowl season so far

iDABhunt

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the fields around Canandaigua are black with geese. I've never seen them like that before. Aren't those things supposed to be going south or something?

Also, where are all the guys that are supposed to be hunting them? It's amazing that all these goose dinners are getting away with these massive public displays in the corn fields without somebody setting up shop and trying to get a bunch of them. These things are even starting to get my attention a little bit ..... lol.

Doc

My hunting partner & I dropped in on a farm he used to hunt regularly a few years back this November for an afternoon deer hunt. Chatted with the owner a bit, & secured his permission to hunt again, then we walked out to look over the land.. Inthe cow pasture, there had to be 300 lesser Canadians, spread all over.. It looked like a geese farm.. Got me a bit excited seeing so many possible harvests, Im gonna try for some birds myself this year..

My hunting partner & I dropped in on a farm he used to hunt regularly a few years back this November for an afternoon deer hunt. Chatted with the owner a bit, & secured his permission to hunt again, then we walked out to look over the land.. Inthe cow pasture, there had to be 300 lesser Canadians, spread all over.. It looked like a geese farm.. Got me a bit excited seeing so many possible harvests, Im gonna try for some birds myself this year..

What are lesser canadians? Is that a subspecies?

• 2 weeks later...

Doc,

There are actually now 7 accepted subspecies of Canada goose-- crazy huh?

"Lesser" Canadas are also known as cacklers... Cackling Geese. They look like a shrunken Canada Goose.

Check out this photo: http://www.oceanwanderers.com/CAGO.Subspecies.html

That's funny. They all always looked the same to me, but there is some real significant differences.