Grouse Hunting, Ulster and Sullivan Counties off Rte 55

agross

Had a question and wondered if anyone had any experience. 

I am looking to see if it is worth my while trekking around Sundown Forest state land area (used to hunt deer there years ago) for day trips for grouse.

I love on Long Island and want a place that is good for a day trip.  I have a place in Chenango which has plenty of State Land and grouse (which is my primary spot).

I will be hunting with my GSP and want to get him as much time in the woods as possible.

Thanks for any help.

• 4 weeks later...

I lost my last bird dog a few years ago and am not sure I'll do it again...... it just doesn't fit my circumstances right now....very difficult as you can imagine.  : (   With that said, you can find many places to have quality hunts that are a reasonable distance.  It wasn't "that many" years ago where I did great on wild quail in Suffolk County and grouse in the Hudson Valley.  As those opportunities changed, I concentrated more and more on Woodcock.  There is great woodcock hunting very close to you and now that the season has been extended back to the six weeks it used to be, you have lots of time to be in the field. There is no better opportunity to train a dog on wild birds!!  Grouse hunting can be good up in the Catskills, especially woods hunting where virtually no one goes.  It's always a good to plan a trip or two to New Hampshire each year if you can swing it.  My own personal feeling is that you consider quality hunting trips over quantity.  I started to avoid stocked pheasants and had a preference to travel a little farther for a quality hunt.  There are pockets of grouse in Putnam and Dutchess still but very limited as far as a hunting opportunity.  The best time for grouse in the Catskills (or anywhere) is right before deer season while it's safe and practical to be afield.  You have the best balance of birds and good hunting conditions.  As one author commented... deer season kind of kills what would be the best grouse season.....  : )  Feel free to send me a message if you'd like any suggestions....... 

Edited by Woodcock

Good post woodcock. I like to hunt in the adirondacks for grouse. They seem to be plentiful. It is the quality of the hunt. Traveling a little further is just fine with me. I stay at my sisters and drive from there. There is a lot of opportunities to hunt in ny. When I hunt a large parcel like tug hill, adirondacks, I due my homework and study the area. I always prepare and have a map and pencil/pen to take notes. I to avoid stocked areas until the weekdays. As brooklyn said, deer hunting on state land is like commiting suicide. I like hunting northern tier. No one goes and its rifle. 

• Like 1