Anyone brew their own beer or make wine?

burmjohn

I bought that star-san stuff too so I can clean / san right before I use it.  I been watching some video's and it seems that's what most people do, keep a bucket of the sanitizer and dip / soak the stuff in it right before you use it.  I think I might skip secondary racking and leave it in the primary for longer... It seems a lot of people do that, and prefer it that way.  Plus it eliminates the chances of contamination.  Have you ever had an infected batch? If so did you still rack it?

just finished teh second fermenting on the hard cider. It tastes great and the ABV is at 14%. It didn't get quite as high as I thought but the yeast has a hard time at that high of a percentage. Now I just have to round up more bottles to put it in.

From what i have read it gets better as it sits...but It will be hard not to drink it before that...lol

I bought that star-san stuff too so I can clean / san right before I use it.  I been watching some video's and it seems that's what most people do, keep a bucket of the sanitizer and dip / soak the stuff in it right before you use it.  I think I might skip secondary racking and leave it in the primary for longer... It seems a lot of people do that, and prefer it that way.  Plus it eliminates the chances of contamination.  Have you ever had an infected batch? If so did you still rack it?

you can taste the difference when racking your beer and it also depends what type of beer you are brewing. if i am brewing a wheat beer and i am adding say orange peel or a flavor of some sort i would rack it at the point i am going to add that additional flavor. if you are brewing a regular lager or ale you dont have to rack it. another sanitizer you can use is sold on the Mr beer website its good for sanitizing. i use it sometimes... if you do decide to rack minimize air boubles and stuff like that when you rack it. it should be a smooth process and when you do it does add some good flavor to a beer...

i usually ferment a week or week and a half before i rack it... and then let it ferment the same time before i bottle.

i always bottle my beer but one of these days i will put it in a 5 gal tap. from what i hear most brewers do it that way after awhile, they get tired of bottling. i like to bottle, i dont mind it... plus its easy to store and what not. get your self some of the suger tablets for building up your co2 when bottling, makes adding the food for the pre existing yeast a sinch! instead of measuring out table suger, which you can do also...

You guys every do anything to boost the ABV of your beer before, during or after fermentation?

i have only tried adding an abv booster to my brew and obviously adding a fermentable such as a fruit and such will also boost it slightly. im prettty sure they sell ingredients to boost your abv. i control my abv from the start of the fermenting process. but like i said if you add some sort of fruit puree during the rack process that will also add a higher abv as the yeast will feed off of the sugers.

good rule of thumb, yeast will fart CO2 and piss out alcohol. lol

just watchout tho, you can get sonsumed with trying to reach a high abv and in turn you can be stuck with a crap beer... they do have blend you can buy tho that have a higher abv, ive seen 8 - 11% before... my last brew was around 6.8%, nice and smooth...

Oh yeah! My extract kits arrived TODAY! Grains, malts, yeast...  I sure hope I am getting that brewing kit for xmas otherwise I just wasted some $$.  I also got two bottle warmers and some extra temp stickers for the fermentors.  I'm so excited to start brewing!  BTW I have to pickup this on sale turkey fryer tomorrow morning @ sears.  The whole fryer with the 30 qt bucket / burner / thermometer for 50 bux!