Stewart state Forrest

dvig27

early part of bow and gun can get crowded, except week days.  Late in the season, less hunters out there.

Please wear lots of hunter orange during gun season.  Last year had movement in front of me just past some thick pines, couldn't quite tell what it was -  Ended up being two hunters in all camo.  One had an orange hat under his hood.

There are about 10 spots they do release pheasants at.  They are supposed to release another 100 birds there this week.  it is easier with a dog to hunt the pheasants ( or in a party of three, the max persons per vehicle).

You must park at a designated parking spot (they are numbered) and it is one vehicle per spot.  Must hunt on same side of the road the parking spot is on.

NO RIFLES.

Wear water proof boots ( there are many soft and mushy areas) and prepare yourself for ticks. Lots of ticks there.

I know a couple spots to find some turkeys, but those are some very competitive spots to get. Only got into those spots in the spring and only had hens in range.  The Tom was very wary and kept his distance.

Spots do open up between 11 and 1 when people head out for lunch or done bird hunting for the day.  Packing a lunch can pay off.

I am tenatively planning to go there for pheasant Sat afternoon, depending on my morning deer hunt.

My advise. don't do it.....  Way overcrowded..... find some other place.....    

Yea I gotta agree with bkln on that one.  I went hunting for my first time three years ago there and it took me about an hour before I was heading back to my car.  I haven't heard that kind of firepower since I left the Marine Corps.  It sounded more like a shooting range then somewhere peaceful to go hunting!  Tons of guys blasting off shotguns to push deer around.  You would think it was safe with the way they set up the parking spots however when you start hearing guys just banging off for no reason other then they are probably drunk its time to find a different spot. 

• Like 1

The range was quite busy from the sounds of it on Sunday.  If you listen close and follow the source when in certain sections of Stewart, you can tell if the shots are from the range.

Heard mix of shotgun, rifle, and pistol coming from there around 4:00  Sunday all in quick succession.

You have to keep in mind that a party of pheasant and dove hunters will also take several shots when the birds are flushed.

When I do manage to get a week day off to hunt (opening week excepted), there are more open spots to choose from.

Last week of deer season is easy to find a spot, but tougher to find the deer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks guys. I am also trying to find other places to go close to westchester county.

Yeah, you and every other hunter who lives in or around NYC.   ;)

Then write letters in support of this new hunting opportunity in Dutchess County: 

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/refuges/planning/lpp/greatthicketLPP.html

Include in your letter, that you support the proposed refuge; and hunting is declared a priority public use of National Wildlife Refuges under the Refuge Improvement Act, therefore sustainable hunting should be allowed within the proposed refuge. 

If the hunting community does not weigh in on this matter, the refuge may not be created, or it may be created but prohibit hunting despite the Refuge Improvement Act. 

So stop wishing and write your letters, there is a deadline so do it while it is on your mind!

Edited by mike rossi