Natural Blind

airedale

This old photo reminds me of a spot I used for hunting both Deer and Squirrels. There was a big old hollow log like the one in the picture laying on a side hill overlooking a Beech grove frequented by both Deer and Squirrels grubbing for Beechnuts. That log made a perfect blind for concealment with the big old log in front and the hill behind I could tuck in there and dry gulch game using the log for a steady rest. I used it for the last time a few years ago killing a Deer with my Marlin 44Mag, It is rotted away now, I pass by what is left of it just about every fall and it brings back some good memories. 

Al

2023-09-10_065200.png

• Like 4

I have had a “natural” blind on our place for about 15 years.  I made it by propping an old boat dock up against an ash tree.  There are vines (wild grape and poison ivy) growing in front and back.  

I hadn’t got any deer of until last year, when it produced a mature doe and a young buck (2-3/4” spiker that I thought was a doe and had to use a dmp’s tag on).  The ash had succumbed to the emerald ash borer several years prior, but still had live vines all over it. 

I cut the top off the dead ash this summer, and I hope the rotting stump will support it for a few more seasons.  I also added a short barnwood sided wall, for a little better concealment, and a better gun rest.

• Like 1

I remembered that I have a photo of the old log blind, it provided me with some different hunting action. Went small game hunting with one of my Airedales (Slick), we were out for anything that walked crawled or flew. Taking Forest Gump's line, hunting with an Airedale is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Slick struck a track in the snow, from the look I thought it to be from early morning. It was a Coon's feed track and it meandered around the woods before lining out right to my old log blind. The Coon crawled back in there and old Slick went in and took care of business the hard way.

Al

2023-09-10_074358.png

2023-09-10_074523.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Have made brush blinds in the past. They work great with scent control and play the wind. Have a large number of ash to come down which will support more. Just itching to saw down as they are covered in poison ivy.

That’s the main reason I’m not going to sit in mine this afternoon.  Id rather avoid that poison ivy.  Also, my food plots are a little better in other areas this year.  Last year, that natural blind was definitely the hotspot for foodplot action.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

Have made brush blinds in the past. They work great with scent control and play the wind.

Back when I hunted the Southern zone in the slug days I would make some corral type blinds, they worked great the first few days when the woods was full of hunters pushing the deer all over the place.

These days I am a still hunter and mover so when I sit or stand I use whatever is available, mainly big trees to back up against or sit on stumps or logs in camo. As you say scent and wind are key along with keeping still. I have had Turkeys and Deer walk right by me up close and pay me no attention.

Al

• Like 1