Guided Missiles

airedale

Spent the evening at the loading bench putting up a batch of 25-06 ammo for a good friend of mine, I did my best to duplicate a Federal Premium load that used old the 100 gr coated Barnes XLC bullets substituting 100 gr Barnes TSX.

Also did up a batch of 375 Holland and Holland mag, using Hornady's new 250 gr CX bullet and Varget powder, they look like guided missiles next to the 25-06 ammo. Will be breaking out the lead sled when I play with those.

Al

2023-10-18_094703.png

2023-10-18_093514.png

• Like 1

Kind of a curious bullet weight for a 375 offering. Typical mono metals are 235,270,300,350; but theres not much ogive there so I bet the shank length is about the same as a Barnes 270 TSX.

I loaded Barnes 235 tsx for a light bullet and less recoil load. Terminal I think is good, I’ve never recovered one in the field, and thats fine by me. I’m a 2 holes are desired guy and dont believe in energy dump by losing bullet weight. I need to load some as I left all mine in a camp for a guides loaner rifle.

Although I have a ton of bonded lead ammo loaded for various rifles, I like all copper bullets and have no reluctance to use it compared to some. Stupid accurate, I have never had an issue there.

I know someone shoots 200g Peregrine mono metals from a 375 HH; they really zip along…..woooosh!

Exit side around 60 yds, impala about the size of a whitetail doe with a 235 tsx mono metal, 375HH, plenty of exit hole, pretty much bang-flop; I would think the Hornady would do about the same.

BdYBMPq.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, Dinsdale said:

Kind of a curious bullet weight for a 375 offering.

Yes the 250 gr weight 375 bullets are relatively new, Barnes has an almost identical twin to the Hornady. I almost always try to settle on a middle of the road bullet weight. They are usually a good compromise for balanced performance I think.

Looks like that 235 gr really opened up and exploded on that Impala, I am mildly surprised, any time I use a big gun on Deer the bullets pass through without a whole lot of expansion due to their jacket heavy construction, at least that is what I think as I have never recovered any and the wound damage while effective is minimal.

Al

Edited by airedale

Those 235’s I loaded with R-15 and they are zipping right along, accounts for good expansion. Big fan of driving solid copper fast. Like the idea of tipped to promote initial expansion on those 250’s.

Recovered only one from a good sized warthog on a severe quarter away; in just in front of the ham and stuck in the shield of that pig between the shoulder and breastbone. Textbook tsx look with 4 peeled petals. Everything else was pass throughs.

375 rifle I’m using is heavy too; fat barrel profile keeps the muzzle down, so it shoots easy with any load really, but the 235’s are a nice alternative and I notice the difference at the bench.

My standard 375hh load is 300gr Aframes for expanding and 300gr Woodliegh’s for solids. Nothing too crazy there on speed; use IMR 4064 for accuracy but just average on fps. Haven’t recovered too many of those either frankly and have taken a fair sized sample with the Aframes. A couple recovered under off side skin on 400 lb + sized game; again text book performance and high weigh retention even after breaking bones if they have been found.

Times are good; more great bullet choices now than ever……

• Like 1