Multitasking

wolc123

I don’t like carrying a bunch of junk on hunts.  Excess baggage slows me down more than it’s worth.  All my stuff needs to fit in a small Fanny pack, in my pockets, or clipped to my belt.  

Starting from the 9:00 position here, the Gerber folding saw is for cutting thru pelvis bones (I always open them up and make sure everything is cleaned out real good in there) and trimming shooting lanes.  The quart zip lock bag at 12:00 is for hearts, livers, and candy bars, so I don’t need to deal with those noisy wrappers.  

The bottle of Repel at 3:00 is for ticks and skeeters.  Fingertips from the gutting glove at 4:00 keeps the rain out of my muzzle.  The buttout tool at 6:00 works in conjunction with a short rope to drag out carcasses.  The original Leatherman tool in the middle can handle almost any other task.  Somewhere under all that stuff is a compass, which can also be used to tell time, and some waterproof matches (probably the only single purpose item I carry).

A quart thermos of hot cider warms me up, hydrates, energizes, masks my scent (a little), and attracts deer (sometimes).  I’m still waiting on a bear, but that’s another forum section. 

D6110F7B-950A-44AA-B251-504D0785887A.thumb.jpeg.fee6c02bc0036ae799f28b7c9490b2c6.jpeg

A964191E-E9B8-4C4C-8430-53BD4D814CC2.thumb.jpeg.fd872fc90caaa2795885e88e451b824c.jpeg

• Like 1

I carry around as little as possible when hunting, what I do carry is all light compact stuff that fits in my pockets, compact binoculars, knife, lighter, small flashlight or cap light, compass, rope, a small canteen that rides on my belt and my hot seat that clips to my belt. That stuff will handle most situations I have run into while hunting.

Al

I’m going extra light for the last hour tonight:  Wallet with tags, pen, pocket knife, speedloader with (2) 50 gr T7 pellets, (2) extra 209 primers.  All fits in two pockets of my jeans.  I’m only 100 yards from my in-laws lake house though.

I’m hoping that a deer or bear steps out onto the shooting range meadow before 1/2 hour past sunset.  Things get pretty quiet around here mid-week, so today is probably my best shot at that.  The Bog bipod seems pretty steady. 
E7389E48-C172-432C-80BE-0A0CC58AAF76.thumb.jpeg.7ea689b3c6adf8046725c4a89c435d8c.jpeg
 I passed up a small spike buck, from this very spot, on opening day morning of gun season last year.  I’m hoping for a 6 point or better buck (till Sunday) or a mature doe (till Friday) on this trip.  

• 4 weeks later...

We are getting into the kind of weather where most of the bulk in my backpack is clothing. My hunts always start with a long climb up a "killer hill" behind the house. The hill is a guaranteed sweat-maker. The best way to beat that problem is to dress very light, and put the heavy coats and sweaters and such on when I get to the stand. I don't last on stand very long if I am all sweated up when I get there.

• Like 2