Bad shot

TrophyHunter33

I had a 6 point buck come in tonight and I took a tough shot through some trees. The lane looked clear but that doesn't mean it was anyways after the shot the deer ran about 10 yards then stopped and started licking his front leg. The deer then laid down for about a half hour before getting up and walking off.

post-5435-0-83221000-1413843729_thumb.jp

This is the blood from where he laid down.

post-5435-0-10921800-1413843769_thumb.jp

This is the blood trail leaving that spot. I lost the blood trail after the deer went up the hill.

I believe I hit the deer in the front leg which is obviously nothing fatal.

Do you guys agree?

I would definitely run some circles tomorrow morning, but if you can't find any blood in the area, grazing the leg and slicing it open should be non-fatal.  Too bad you didn't get a hair sample from the shot, that could have helped narrow down the impact point.

I tend to agree with Sudzy8, usually deer only immediately bed after a got shot.  Very common for them to bed then get up for 75 or 100 yards and bed again.  If you did gut shoot him one thing is sure.  It's absolutely a fatal hit.  Deer will succumb to septicemia or blood poisoning.  It can take as long as 4-6 hrs.

Almost forgot to add, that would also explain the streak of blood on fletching.  You should however have a foul odor on arrow.  You'll know it, there is no chance of mistaking an arrow that has passed digestive system.

Good luck with recovery.

Edited by Taylormike

I tend to agree with Sudzy8, usually deer only immediately bed after a got shot.  Very common for them to bed then get up for 75 or 100 yards and bed again.  If you did gut shoot him one thing is sure.  It's absolutely a fatal hit.  Deer will succumb to septicemia or blood poisoning.  It can take as long as 4-6 hrs.

Almost forgot to add, that would also explain the streak of blood on fletching.  You should however have a foul odor on arrow.  You'll know it, there is no chance of mistaking an arrow that has passed digestive system.

Good luck with recovery.

I agree with your last sentence...if the arrow went through the gut, you should be able to tell.  There is usually more than just a little blood on the fletching if it was gut-shot.  Also, there should have been more than just bright red blood at the sight of the first bed-down.

I've put a .50 MZ round through a lung and liver of a deer and had him walk 20 yards, bed down, wait 5 minutes, get up and walk another 20 yards and finally bed down a second (and last time).

I got up around 7 and started tracking the deer. He left pretty good blood and i found where he bedded down for the night. Which was about 300 yards from where i hit shot him. Then i tracked him into some thick brush and kicked him up. The deer ran off like nothing was wrong but was still leaving a little blood. Given the way he ran off im saying he is ok and i just hit some meet and what ever blood he is leaving look to be like clots.