Madison county area?

RyanVT

Hey everybody first post on the site. Read alot of stuff on here though. Im new to hunting New York. I am hunting st lawrence county right now. but looking at some land in madison county. What can you guys tell me about the area as far as deer size and amount of deer in the are. Looking at the north east side of madison. Thanks for any help and input you can give me. Best of luck this year.

Edited by RyanVT

The deer numbers are strong (although buck to doe ratio is pretty bad), as far as deer size there are a lot of people that shoot every 1 1/2 that walks by.  You will see some 2 1/2s along with the rare 3 1/2+ running around.  If you can get around the right neighbors there is potential to have some very nice deer. 

I don't know St. Lawrence County so I could not answer that question.  I think the biggest thing in most of NYS is getting enough of the neighbors on the same page and letting the deer get some age on them.  If you are lucky enough to purchase property in an area that people are letting bucks walk you will have pretty good luck seeing nice deer.  If you have time go spotlighting around the property that you are thinking about purchasing it will give you a good idea of what is going on around there.