Drank the 6.5 Moonshine

My buddy bought one in January and booked an antelope hunt just to try it out. I have mixed feelings of its real utility but am very interested in seeing how it performs on game. Sure sounds like it is a fun distance cartridge though.  I look forward to some reports.  Good luck with it!!!

• Like 1

Here she is so far, removed the Howa two stage trigger and I installed a single stage Timney trigger, mounted up a Simmons 44Mag 6x20 for my initial ammo trials. The mounts are one piece American made DNZ Game Reapers and they are of very good quality. If the Simmons holds up I just may leave it on but if it does not work out I have a 6.5x18 Leupold waiting in the wings.

Waiting for the rest of my components to come in so I can load up a couple of sizzling batches of ammo. Also have a muzzle brake coming from Weatherby. Been looking at this cartridge since it came out a few years back and finally got me one, this is going to be fun.

Al

2024-08-16_133632.png

Posted (edited)

Well I got the 6.5X300 Vanguard out on the range today for initial testing of a handload for function, pressure and accuracy. The muzzle brake came in the mail this morning so I got that installed, yesterday I adjusted the new Timney trigger down to 1 3/4 lbs pull weight, it is crisp and it is sweet. I also changed the Simmons scope out and put the Leupold 6X18 on.

Started shooting with the lead sled but once I got close I switched over to my big bag rest as she bucks pretty good but not unbearable. Took my time and waited between shots to get the barrel cooled down, the barrel cooling fan worked out great. Overbore rifle barrel throats can be washed out a lot quicker if you get them real hot and by not letting them cool down some. It took a few shots few shots get in on the bullseye and I then fired a three shot group that was decent. According to the Garmin they were exiting just under 3400 fps. The loading was not max but close. I have a couple of more bullets I can try but I think I am going to settle on these new Sierra Gamechangers. I also might put up a few loads with the Ramshot Magnum powder and give it a try and see if I can tighten things up a bit, but for a skinny sporter weight barrel she grouped pretty well.

So far so good!

Al

2024-08-22_152843.png

2024-08-22_153015.png

2024-08-22_153110.png

2024-08-22_153417.png

Edited by airedale