public land guidance

Hunterny28

Due to the need of being closer to home some weekends,  I have invested time in scouting/hunting some state land. I have not seen many hunters out, which I am sure will change with the gun opener. I have never really hunted public Land, but was wondering if there was any un-written rules to hunting them. I am aware of all the state and common sense rules- but just want to make sure I have everything covered. or any advice to hunting public land would be appreciated as well. thank you and good luck on your hunt. 

the 1st few days on tate / city lands will be packed. get there early...REAL early, find the the farest thickest swamp or mtn lauriiel patch you can find. sit all day. your best chances sometime are around 10 when the other pumpkins leave for lunch...2pm when they return is also good.

make sure you walk in and out in the dark with a good light on...most of them know deer don't carry flashlights.

after the 1st week, the woods will empty out.

• Like 2

Always wear orange! Don't mess with others peoples things. Even tape, no matter how old it looks. Keep a keen eye out for other hunters. If they are there first, move along.

Try not to ask to many questions to the other hunters. They might get irritated and feel you may want to "Steal" their spot.

Edited by JustRob
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies- i did notice some tape as I was scouting- do people use that to mark their spots? I would try to have mine a little more hidden if it were me! the tape marking a trail was marked like a highway. 

yeah, people use it to mark their spots and then think nothing of leaving it after the season......after awhile it becomes trash no different than a plastic water bottle or candy wrapper left behind. I always clean up any trash I find, old marking tape and glow in the dark thumb tacks included.

Use topo maps and find the hardest to get to , most remote area that you can find . Get in real early for the gun opener , stay all day, wait for all the other hunters to push the deer to you. Most,  if not all state land , don't allow atv's,  so a plan to get that buck out , is needed . Game carts ,if there are hiking trails or fire roads etc.

• Like 1

both replies offer good advice.  also wear lots orange

I forgot about wearing orange...very important!... this is my perferred warm weather outfit.

all kidding aside...wear orange something orange...helps the other hunters see you way before they get right on top of you...most of the time, they'll turn and leave once they see you

post-2420-0-94479800-1415209514.jpg

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 1

Use topo maps and find the hardest to get to , most remote area that you can find . Get in real early for the gun opener , stay all day, wait for all the other hunters to push the deer to you. Most, if not all state land , don't allow atv's, so a plan to get that buck out , is needed . Game carts ,if there are hiking trails or fire roads etc.

Satalite maps are good also. ...may show you a clearing or water source deep in tract....good info here

thanks guys- i have orange gear- and that is a must. I want to be seen, I am still nervous about the idea of being on property with strangers. I have scouted and used online resources. I will end up at camp for opening weekend. Hoping the woods are empty the times I do stay close to home and use state land. I was there last weekend and didn't see a soul while bow hunting. Not sure if the cold/windy weather kept people away. 

What is the best Scenario if I do see a hunter, turn around and walk away or wait to he acknowledges me? Also what should I do if I have to track a deer- I don't want to ruin anyone else's hunt. I think I have the answers- just would like other opinions.

Thank you 

• Like 1

thanks guys- i have orange gear- and that is a must. I want to be seen, I am still nervous about the idea of being on property with strangers. I have scouted and used online resources. I will end up at camp for opening weekend. Hoping the woods are empty the times I do stay close to home and use state land. I was there last weekend and didn't see a soul while bow hunting. Not sure if the cold/windy weather kept people away.

What is the best Scenario if I do see a hunter, turn around and walk away or wait to he acknowledges me? Also what should I do if I have to track a deer- I don't want to ruin anyone else's hunt. I think I have the answers- just would like other opinions.

Thank you

I always try to get an response from a hunter normally a wistle or wave makes sure they see you....and when on blood it sucks but have to follow that for recovery if it runs in front of another hunter I'm sure they will either try and shoot it or see that it's hurt and will more than usually understand. ...i personally have never had a bad experience on public land in the 15 years I've been hunting them...I've had complete strangers help track and drag deer...and I've returned the favor also...most guys out there understand it's public expect to see people and will probably try and talk for a min about random stuff....we all are out there to have fun and hopefully see something....

I'm gonna be hunting public land for the first time too. Did a little scouting a week ago and saw one rub but it could've been a late rut area. I'm thinking of changing my plan a bit and just do what you guys recommend and go deep. I found a great water source in the area and think I'm gonna play that side and sit all day.

Edited by Borngeechee