Over Calling?

nybuckboy

I know I over call....i get bored bad and tend to call alot...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. ...8 don't think does care about calling what so ever....bucks especially older ones may be hesitant of doesn't seem right....i did read up on not calling when in open area so bc I call alot I tend to set up with good cover around so if a deer come in to check out can't see there isn't a deer around

I like to blind call, since most of my setups are where mature woods border thick nasty cover. If you set up in or near thickets, I believe you can call more frequently. The deer have to investigate since they can't see as good through cover and should not be able to identify by smell, if your downwind. Every deer I saw today was either after bleating or grunting. All were small bucks or young fawns. If your setup permits, I believe you could blow some soft grunts, ticks, or bleats every 30 to 60 minutes.

If you are blind calling you can't over call as long as you keep each sequence far enough apart... giving enough time for a deer in range to react to the call if they're going to... if you're trying to call a buck in that you have in your vision you can watch to see his reaction to know if you need to make another call... if they aren't reacting .... you need to call louder or sometime more aggressively... and even then he may act like he doesn't hear the call... I've called in more bucks than I can count.. and one thing I'll say is that you never know what will happen when calling... but I'll also say that there were some big bucks that I never would have killed without my grunt call... I never go in the woods without it.

Sometimes when things are too quiet I do a 2 long doe bleats and every once in a while I'll throw out a grunt or two.

May be the nature of bleat. I try to read as much as I can from biologists in the field. Long bleats may be distressed calls

Edited by thunnus

Does anyone feel they sometimes have a tendency to use calls more then they should and why? Sometimes when things are too quiet I do a 2 long doe bleats and every once in a while I'll throw out a grunt or two. In your opinion, can you over call?

i don't think that's overcalling. when i stop calling is when i have action. then there's no need unless i'm trying to grunt a buck back in. generally i don't even try to grunt them in unless it looks like they're headed out of range.

"blind calling" is what you're referring too and i dont think it can hurt unless maybe you're trying to just smoke a doe. They aren't likely to come into anything but a fawn bleat and more likely to avoid any buck/doe in heat calls. even see a buck chasing a doe? The doe never look like they're enjoying it. haha.