DEC regions?

jbone

J bone, take this as an offer to help you, not make fun, but is this your first season ? Have you ever taken a deer ? Have you ever taken an antler less deer ? I am willing to help with your question, but you need to realize the importance of these areas and the importance of knowing rules / regs before you step foot in the woods. It's for your sake, for our sake and for the animals sake. Please check the wmu map and at least know which one you hunt in !! Step 1

• Like 1

I've been hunting for 46 years and every year I read the book of rules, cover-to-cover.  You owe it to yourself to get fully familiar with them, it's what drives this sport.  You would need to know what wmu your in to fill out your tag when you get a deer.  It's homework we all have to do.  We all don't agree with them, but we have to know them.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I should have made this clear prior, I have not hunted in NY before.  I hunt in NJ.  Here, we have regulation sets 1- 8 and they are broken down even further in 70 zones.  I am asking this question not to make sure what I am doing is correct but prior to getting my license.  So thank you for your help and advice Treeguy and accman.

Absolutely ! Welcome to the great state of ny ! Please though, we all here hope you will take the time and locate the exact wmu you will be hunting, and ones you are close to, then or before then read the regs ! Rifle or shotgun areas, etc. There are a bunch of state land only rules as well, no permanent stands, etc. Plus, I highly highly highly recommend scouting state land. If you can find a funnel or a solid run to / from thick bedding and have the patience to sit ur butt all day you are going to allow others to send deer your way ! I'm sorry to blab there is just so much I want you to know before you step foot in the woods ! Mainly the LAW