What would you do?

jauslong

My first ever gun season.  Found some private land to hunt, set up a nice little spot to sit in, and kind of let my mind wander.  About 20 minutes into sitting against a fence, this 8 point beauty comes to about 15 ft away from me.  I don't move.  I'm beyond excited.  Two problems.  1) my rifle is not up; and 2) in the line of sight is a house behind the buck.  So, I'm obviously not shooting at him right like that, but I'm wondering.  Would you have moved and raised your rifle?  By the time I was able to raise my rifle without fear of being busted, he was way too far away for my iron sight.

So, what can I learn from this?  Should I have raised the rifle and got a shot off as he moved away from the houses, or was I right to sit there petrified and do nothing but enjoy how close I got?

Next question, what are the chances of repeating that performance?  Should I go back to the same spot, or pick a new ambush spot?  I've got about 50 acres to work with here, maybe more.

First, well done for not just taking a poor or dangerous shot. For WAY too many hunters the potential "ends justifies the means" and they take terrible shots, including running shots which the vast majority of hunters can't pull off at high percentages. 

As for your question, it kind of depends on the body language of the deer. Often time, even when they are staring at you, you can sometimes slowly raise a gun or move. Other times, you can not move a muscle and they bust. Where was the wind going and could they also smell you? How good was your backdrop concealing your human outline, etc. All those things factor in weather you can make a move. I also believe in not allowing the deer to look in my eyes and I squint when they are that close looking my direction. Call it silly, but I believe they see or sense a predators eyes so if I were to draw I'd not be staring a hole through him as I did it. 

But if he started out 15 ft from me, and then walked away beyond your range, at some point I would have raised a riffle. If the houses were still in the back drop, you're just out of luck regardless. Personally, I'd pick a different ambush point but not be far from where you were. Ask yourself, where was he going and why? Then pick your ambush spot. Stay disciplined, good luck. 

Next time save yourself one problem and don't sit facing the house. And was the gun on your lap?

Yeah, the gun was on my lap.  D'oh.

The house issue is less of a concern.  I'm basically set up along a wooded area jutting out into a hay field.  There is a lot of open space.  For the most part, it's safe shooting, but there are a couple of short angles where it's not safe. 

I think I've got a working trail cam, I should set up during the week and see what I see I guess.

• Like 1