"Cue Theory" (about hunting accidents)

mike rossi

There was a brief sentence in that article that talked about "snap shooting" that reminded me of an incident that happened a whole bunch of years ago. My brother-in-law came down from Canada and brought a couple of his work mates along.......Something I later told him never to do again. The first thing we did on their arrival was to have them drag our guns out to my range behind the house, so I could see just what kind of shots these guys were. Well, the younger of the two took a pretty careful 4 shot group that actually didn't come out all that bad. Then the older gent took his turn and proceeded to rip off all 5 of his shots just about as fast as he could pull the trigger and work the pump. The rest of us looked at each other and made a few comments suggesting that he might try aiming. His explanation was that he was raised hunting with dogs, and running shots were the norm. So I patiently explained that there are no dogs here and that that kind of instinctive snap shooting was kind of frowned on here. Maybe he got the message I don't know. So we were headed up to see if he had actually hit anything, and there was a loud bang! behind us. The younger guy was doing something with his gun and it accidentally went off. That did it. Target practice was over, and I turned these two around and pointed at the far hill across the valley and told them That's where you guys will be hunting. I had no intention of being on the same hill as they were.

There are some strange people out there with strange back-grounds, and no concept of safety. Nobody will ever hunt my land again unless I have years of hunting experience with them.

I cant find a better article right now, in the future I will, but this cue theory answers the question how could someone mistake a person for a deer or turkey, at close range no less. This is phycology or neurological stuff, pretty heady.  Has to do with how people's brains work with their visual perception. Its mentioned a lot along with buck fever and tunnel vision, but this is different.