A new vaccine to stop CWD has been proven to work.

This is why the deer industry supported the research in Ny.... Now lets see if the DEC/DNR of states pick up the ball and run with it or it will be proven that CWD was not the reson for trying to shut down the high fence deer industry. Cant wait for this one.

First successful vaccination against 'mad cow'-like wasting disease in deer

Researchers at NYU Langone Medical Center and elsewhere say that a vaccination they have developed to fight a brain-based, wasting syndrome among deer and other animals may hold promise on two additional fronts: Protecting U.S. livestock from contracting the disease, and preventing similar brain infections in humans.

The study, to be published in Vaccine online Dec. 21, documents a scientific milestone: The first successful vaccination of deer against chronic wasting disease (CWD), a fatal brain disorder caused by unusual infectious proteins known as prions. Prions propagate by converting otherwise healthy proteins into a disease state.

Equally important, the researchers say, this study may hold promise against human diseases suspected to be caused by prion infections, such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, kuru, familial insomnia, and variably protease-sensitive prionopathy. Some studies also have associated prion-like infections with Alzheimer's disease.

"Now that we have found that preventing prion infection is possible in animals, it's likely feasible in humans as well," says senior study investigator and neurologist Thomas Wisniewski, MD, a professor at NYU Langone.

CWD afflicts as much as 100 percent of North America's captive deer population, as well as large numbers of other cervids that populate the plains and forests of the Northern Hemisphere, including wild deer, elk, caribou and moose. There is growing concern among scientists that CWD could possibly spread to livestock in the same regions, especially cattle, a major life stream for the U.S. economy, in much the same manner that bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or Mad Cow Disease, another prion-based infection, spread through the United Kingdom almost two decades ago.

According to Dr. Wisniewski and his research team, if further vaccine experiments prove successful, a relatively small number of animals (as few as 10 percent) could be inoculated to induce herd immunity, in which disease transmission is essentially stopped in a much larger group.

For the study, five deer were given the vaccine; another six were given a placebo. All of the deer were exposed to prion-infected brain tissue; they also were housed together, engaging in group activities similar to those in the wild. Scientists say this kept them in constant exposure to the infectious prions. The animals receiving the vaccine were given eight boosters over 11 months until key immune antibodies were detectable in blood, saliva, and feces. The deer also were monitored daily for signs of illness, and investigators performed biopsies of the animals' tonsils and gut tissue every three months to search for signs of CWD infection.

Within two years, all of the deer given the placebo developed CWD. Four deer given the real vaccine took significantly longer to develop infection - and the fifth one continues to remain infection free.

Wisniewski and his team made the vaccine using Salmonella bacteria, which easily enters the gut, to mirror the most common mode of natural infection - ingestion of prion-contaminated food or feces. To prepare the vaccine, the team inserted a prion-like protein into the genome of an attenuated, or no longer dangerous, Salmonella bacterium. This engineered the Salmonella to induce an immune response in the gut, producing anti-prion antibodies.

"Although our anti-prion vaccine experiments have so far been successful on mice and deer, we predict that the method and concept could become a widespread technique for not only preventing, but potentially treating many prion diseases," says lead study investigator Fernando Goni, PhD, an associate professor at NYU Langone

According to the article, its pretty far from being proven yet. Still has a ways to go before anyone could pick the ball up and run with it.

Really..Far from proven? Its already shown that 1 has not got CWD in the years it has been exposed, after being treated.  That does not give states something to go on?  Its already been proven that CWD prion is the same as scrapies prion and its been proven the certin genetic makeup in sheep and they will not contract scrapies. Well if that does not point to deer and CWD very well could be the same i'm not sure what will.

Point is..If the states are so worried about this big and bad CWD that they dont continue to support a huge positive thing like this then it will prove what we all already know..It never was and never will be CWD that they have the problem with. But have no fear because regardless if the states pick up the ball or not, the bill will be paid, the live tests and the vaccines will continue to be proven and passed by the USDA and then many will be eating crow in the new year. We both know one group that will find that crow hard to swallow but i'm sure some will be there to cram it down their throats.  

Any proven is a huge proven if their was a problem,  Think this would be a proven if it beat any kind of cancer in one human?

The point wnybuckhunter I believe was trying to make was that a study cannot be proven to be true with only one in the sample set. Once they test it on a larger sample size say 1000+ deer and they all are free from cwd after being exposed, then and only then can people really start to convincingly state that such a vaccine is viable on an actual population of deer. So please before you jump down anybody's throat please keep in mind the scientific method which requires repeatability before something can be proven law

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The point wnybuckhunter I believe was trying to make was that a study cannot be proven to be true with only one in the sample set. Once they test it on a larger sample size say 1000+ deer and they all are free from cwd after being exposed, then and only then can people really start to convincingly state that such a vaccine is viable on an actual population of deer. So please before you jump down anybody's throat please keep in mind the scientific method which requires repeatability before something can be proven law

Agreed but if this CWD crap was as important as all these states(politics) say it was and after the white coats said that we were going to lose all our whitetail populations whenever CWD came into a state they( Every state in the country) would be all over this huge positive start that Ny has started. My statement was i cant wait to see if any states at all jump in to help foot the bill on what so far the high fence industry has footed. Cant say i have seen where any cash flow has come in from the QDMA,NRA,any of the record books or any other groups that make their living off the whitetail deer. But i will say i am not shocked because they know what CWD has been blown up to be but the high fence industry will foot the bills to prove what has been many lies(Politics) over the years and if the day ever comes that CWD does affect humans in any way, The high fence industry will have the only proven tested clean deer. Time will tell soon on many of these questions.

Again, if this was one positive step in any kind of human disease(cancer,ebolla) do you think someone would make the statement that that is not enough to jump on and help the research?  I think not.

It's not really the emotional reactions that count. I mean hope and encouragement are great things but it really is a science that has yet to withstand the scrutiny of further research. yes, we do hope that it turns out to be something that can have positive results in the bigger picture as it develops.

• Like 2

Really..Far from proven? Its already shown that 1 has not got CWD in the years it has been exposed, after being treated.  That does not give states something to go on?  Its already been proven that CWD prion is the same as scrapies prion and its been proven the certin genetic makeup in sheep and they will not contract scrapies. Well if that does not point to deer and CWD very well could be the same i'm not sure what will.

Point is..If the states are so worried about this big and bad CWD that they dont continue to support a huge positive thing like this then it will prove what we all already know..It never was and never will be CWD that they have the problem with. But have no fear because regardless if the states pick up the ball or not, the bill will be paid, the live tests and the vaccines will continue to be proven and passed by the USDA and then many will be eating crow in the new year. We both know one group that will find that crow hard to swallow but i'm sure some will be there to cram it down their throats.  

Any proven is a huge proven if their was a problem,  Think this would be a proven if it beat any kind of cancer in one human?

No, it wouldnt be a proven if it beat something in ONE human.

It's not really the emotional reactions that count. I mean hope and encouragement are great things but it really is a science that has yet to withstand the scrutiny of further research. yes, we do hope that it turns out to be something that can have positive results in the bigger picture as it develops.

Exactly.

No, it wouldnt be a proven if it beat something in ONE human.

If this was cancer and 1 thing was proven then millions of dollars would be thrown at further research. Its been done and proven.

Now if this CWD was the beast that the states DEC/DNR made it out to be,and any kind of positive research was shown then one would think that the states would be throwing money from every direction. We know that is not going to happen just like we know the other deer affiliated groups will not be throwing money...But they sure do like to throw the bull.  Cant wait for this to come to a head.  Going to be a great day for sure.

Looks like Canada is jumping on the research....Any help is a big help.  

CANADA HELPS FUND RESEARCH FOR CWD VACCINE

The Pan-Provincial Vaccine Enterprise Inc. (PREVENT) has received funding of $700,000 from the Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada for the development of a vaccine for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) aimed at controlling the disease in alternative livestock (elk and deer). This augments support of $463,000 from the cost-shared federal and Saskatchewan Growing Forward 2 Agriculture Development Fund.

The vaccine is being evaluated for immunogenicity and efficacy disease-challenge studies in elk by utilizing resources within the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization and the International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac) at the University of Saskatchewan. The new containment level 3 facilities enable the work on this vaccine, and potentially others for a number of related misfolded protein diseases of humans and animals.

Chronic Wasting Disease is a progressive, fatal, and incurable prion disease similar to BSE in cattle, scrapie in sheep and Creutzfeldt-Jacob in humans, which is affecting elk, deer and moose. Elk and deer are important natural resources in their own right with significant economic contributions through farmed animals as well as the export, gaming and outfitter industries. More importantly, these animals are food staples in the diets of Canada's Northern populations and aboriginal communities.

Despite the expenditure of countless millions of dollars fighting CWD across North America, the disease has not been eradicated or contained to any significant extent, and it continues to spread across continental North America. An effective vaccine could control CWD in farmed deer and elk, reducing the potential for cross-species transmission to traditional livestock (i.e. cattle). If the latter were to occur, it would have a significant and serious economic impact on the livestock industry.

"Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has spread rapidly over the last decade. This disease continues to spread within wild cervid populations which has significant implications for rural populations and its presence has also had a negative impact on the alternative livestock industry. We are grateful to the Federal and Provincial governments for the support that they have provided for this initiative" said Dr. Andrew Potter, CEO of PREVENT.

Glenda Elkow, President of the Canadian Cervid Alliance, which represents cervid producer associations including elk, white-tailed deer and reindeer says, "From the very beginnings of PREVENT's ground breaking research to develop a vaccine for CWD we have all been watching (and contributing in any way we can) with great anticipation. Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has resulted in substantial losses for the farmed cervid industry. The development of a vaccine for CWD will revitalize our industry because of its ability to provide even greater market assurances beyond our already comprehensive disease monitoring programs. Congratulations PREVENT and a very special Thank-You from our industry to the Government of Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan for recognizing (by way of this substantial contribution to this research) how important this initiative is to our industry

A vaccine that works 20% of the time after 8 boosters in 11 months is simply something that FAILED. Having been part of a lot of scientific animal research, the data set is insignificantly small. It's even possible that the animal was somehow naturally resistant to CWD.

It is a fact that the deer farming industry primarily facilitated the spread of CWD. It may not been the end of the world and neither is HIV/AIDS, but it would have been better if these diseases had stayed where they originated.

• Like 1

A vaccine that works 20% of the time after 8 boosters in 11 months is simply something that FAILED. Having been part of a lot of scientific animal research, the data set is insignificantly small. It's even possible that the animal was somehow naturally resistant to CWD.

It is a fact that the deer farming industry primarily facilitated the spread of CWD. It may not been the end of the world and neither is HIV/AIDS, but it would have been better if these diseases had stayed where they originated.

Sorry Sam but your fact as you say has been proven to be hogwash at best. All one has to look at is the state of illinois and look at the 450 plus cases of CWD in the wild and yet NEVER 1 case in any deer farm anywhere.....Ever!!

Any vaccine that shows positive of any kind would be jumped all over if it was that important to them. Any ground gained is big ground gained if it is going to stop us all from losing our wonderful whitetails.  We all know what is important to the states DEC/DNR and that backfired on them.

Any ground gained is big ground gained if it is going to stop us all from losing our wonderful whitetails.

Its been 47 years since the first case of CWD was found.  Take a look at the deer population in 1967 compared to 2014.  We are not losing our wonderful whitetails by any means.  Deer populations in the US have exploded since 1967.  You will also notice that your complaint about states not throwing millions at CWD is again the opposite.  Your last paste job even states this. " Despite the expenditure of countless millions of dollars fighting CWD across North America"  I think you are to far invested in captive deer herd and biased about captive deer to see that CWD states DEC/DNR are not all about hunting you guys down and throwing you to the wolves.  Like its been said many times if they wanted you gone you would be gone period.

Its been 47 years since the first case of CWD was found.  Take a look at the deer population in 1967 compared to 2014.  We are not losing our wonderful whitetails by any means.  Deer populations in the US have exploded since 1967.  You will also notice that your complaint about states not throwing millions at CWD is again the opposite.  Your last paste job even states this. " Despite the expenditure of countless millions of dollars fighting CWD across North America"  I think you are to far invested in captive deer herd and biased about captive deer to see that CWD states DEC/DNR are not all about hunting you guys down and throwing you to the wolves.  Like its been said many times if they wanted you gone you would be gone period.

How true you are my friend... Yet the states still say they have to close their borders from deer farmers yet they bring in elk to repopulate states from untested elk herds?  They still allow CWD positive hay and grains come out of CWD positive states and sold all across the country..yet they want farms double fenced. They still allow non resident to happen in all CWD positive states with no way to secure dead bodies from being brought across every state line..yet they kill every deer on a farm that only has 1 positive deer. At the price of millions cost to the taxpayers.

Just to be clear...I am not really that invested in deer as far as money as that red/black line has been cleared long ago and dont think for a second that if deer farming could be shut down from CWD they would have been years ago...Do you think they would pay farmers millions of dollars after killing their livestock from disease if they could have just shut them down first?  You would be shocked at how many millions have been paid to farms. Some states even paid millions to buy CWD  positve land to just let it sit there for 5 years and they now own that land after 5 years that they will sell at a tax auction for pennies on the dollar. Dont you think they would have just shut them down first? Sorry but they cant just shut down livestock farming because the DEC/DNR does not like them.

The outrage you say!

What - a cervid disease treatment not being given the same consideration and funding as a possible cure for cancer in humans? Maybe PETA could help?

lol..Thats what i say...The outrage they say about something that is going to kill all our deer. All lies and agendas by a few parties and now the truths will be coming out and shown. 2015 will be a year for a few to eat crow as they say. Should get interesting to say the least.

Last I checked most people consider deer a nuisance. I personally love eating them but I'd bet the population as a whole could care less if all were wiped out or had their populations significantly diminished. Its one game species out of thousands, not to mention this one causes more damage than most others combined. Now I personally would like the numbers of deer to stay higher at least around hunting season but I'd be willing to bet most non hunters could not care less about the deer which as a result is causing little funds to research a vaccine, not to mention how truly impractical it would be to give every deer in the population a needle with the vaccine, then locate the same animal for its yearly boosters

• Like 1

Last I checked most people consider deer a nuisance. I personally love eating them but I'd bet the population as a whole could care less if all were wiped out or had their populations significantly diminished. Its one game species out of thousands, not to mention this one causes more damage than most others combined. Now I personally would like the numbers of deer to stay higher at least around hunting season but I'd be willing to bet most non hunters could not care less about the deer which as a result is causing little funds to research a vaccine, not to mention how truly impractical it would be to give every deer in the population a needle with the vaccine, then locate the same animal for its yearly boosters

Farmers and Ins companies have a big say on how many deer go. It costs about $500-700 a year to raise a deer behind wire. How much do you think it costs the farmers in your/my,everybody's hunting area?  Sure is not the state of Ny that foots the bill but they want all the returns from hunters. Go Figure!

If this was cancer and 1 thing was proven then millions of dollars would be thrown at further research. Its been done and proven.

Now if this CWD was the beast that the states DEC/DNR made it out to be,and any kind of positive research was shown then one would think that the states would be throwing money from every direction. We know that is not going to happen just like we know the other deer affiliated groups will not be throwing money...But they sure do like to throw the bull.  Cant wait for this to come to a head.  Going to be a great day for sure.

Further research means it still needs to be proven.

Further research means it still needs to be proven.

Man..I agree with that statement but you need to get real here. For freakin years they..Govt,States,QDMA,NRA and some many others have been blowing smoke up our keesters with their lies and agendas that CWD was going to wipe out the herds and blah,blah,blah and now there is a positive,regardless of how small, to maybe beat or even slow down this crap yet nobody steps up with funding?  Yeah i guess so!  

They will throw 100's of thousands at deer for birth control?  This will just show more of the truths that many already know and its going to expose those with the lies and agendas. I guess we will just sit back and see what 2015 shows us.  You know, like the 60th year this stuff thats going to kill all the deer has been around.

Man..I agree with that statement but you need to get real here. For freakin years they..Govt,States,QDMA,NRA and some many others have been blowing smoke up our keesters with their lies and agendas that CWD was going to wipe out the herds and blah,blah,blah and now there is a positive,regardless of how small, to maybe beat or even slow down this crap yet nobody steps up with funding?  Yeah i guess so!  

They will throw 100's of thousands at deer for birth control?  This will just show more of the truths that many already know and its going to expose those with the lies and agendas. I guess we will just sit back and see what 2015 shows us.  You know, like the 60th year this stuff thats going to kill all the deer has been around.

FSW- maybe they should let some farm deer loose in the areas that they are using birth control... That way they can spread CWD to the resident population and the birth control won't be needed!

FSW- maybe they should let some farm deer loose in the areas that they are using birth control... That way they can spread CWD to the resident population and the birth control won't be needed!

Sam, Please..You are smarter than this and this really does nothing to help your stats. CWD itself has proven just what its not.  You should go over to the QDMA and Habitat websites and listen to the boys that live in states that they say are in the CWD hotzone....They now have to kill more does to keep the population down and are still killing record book bucks every year.  Yup thats a killer.

Or maybe Wind Cave where they have a CWD positive rate of 50% yet they still use helicopters to release Elk out of the fence because the Elk are over populated inside! Yup thats a killer.

Or maybe these states that are taking untested Elk out of CWD positive states and repopulating their state with these untested animals.Yup that sounds like they think CWD is a killer

See what i mean that your statement does nothing to help show your knowledge on any disease or what its doing! Research my friend! The truth is out there and will continue to be shown!

Sam, Please..You are smarter than this and this really does nothing to help your stats. CWD itself has proven just what its not.  You should go over to the QDMA and Habitat websites and listen to the boys that live in states that they say are in the CWD hotzone....They now have to kill more does to keep the population down and are still killing record book bucks every year.  Yup thats a killer.

Or maybe Wind Cave where they have a CWD positive rate of 50% yet they still use helicopters to release Elk out of the fence because the Elk are over populated inside! Yup thats a killer.

Or maybe these states that are taking untested Elk out of CWD positive states and repopulating their state with these untested animals.Yup that sounds like they think CWD is a killer

See what i mean that your statement does nothing to help show your knowledge on any disease or what its doing! Research my friend! The truth is out there and will continue to be shown!

FSW- I made the statement for the enjoyment of other readers as well as my own....This is more fun than throwing rocks at a hornet's nest!

Plus, if CWD didn't have a detrimental effect on cervids, then why even bother to identify the disease? Or maybe it's not about deer at all... Prions are the nastiest thing around and have been well documented to make the jump from four legged critters to humans. The last thing anyone wants is for people to start getting sick from CWD like they have from BSE, aka Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in humans.

• Like 1

FSW- I made the statement for the enjoyment of other readers as well as my own....This is more fun than throwing rocks at a hornet's nest!

Plus, if CWD didn't have a detrimental effect on cervids, then why even bother to identify the disease? Or maybe it's not about deer at all... Prions are the nastiest thing around and have been well documented to make the jump from four legged critters to humans. The last thing anyone wants is for people to start getting sick from CWD like they have from BSE, aka Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in humans.

Oh i am with ya on the prions jumping but seeing that CWD in deer is the same prion as Scrapies in sheep...Seeing though thats how this all started 60 years ago when deer were put in a tested sheep pen...If it was going to jump it would have done so eons ago.

CWD is being used by states DEC/DNR to try and slow the growth of high fence, plain and simple.  Groups like QDMA jumped on the band wagon for what they believe in. Problem is, now this has all backfired on them. Millions of dollars have been spent for years on research.....Which is so funny now that Ny has found even a little positive now no money comes forward..HHMMMM?..and millions have been paid to deer farmers and millions have been spent on old deer farms just to lock them down for 5 years. For What Reason?  The same CWD is being cut in hay and harvested in corn and sold all across the country from Wis,Iowa and on and on. Kinda stupid to spend millions of taxpayers money to stop it one place only to let it spread in others dont ya think?  Do you realize that you can buy whole kernel corn at your local Tractor Supply that was harvested in a proven CWD hot zone county that has also been found to carry the CWD prion?  You could feed infected corn to your animals and not even know it.  Do you think that is states trying to stop the spread of CWD?  It never was about what alot of folks think they know what it was about. The truths are now starting to be shown and big money is fighting back to show the truths.  2015 will be an interesting year on the CWD front...

I honestly havent seen anyone say that CWD alone is going to wipe out herds. I have seen organizations convey concerns about it and show that it is a threat to wild cervids, and it is, is it not? I am being real here, its good progress, but the vaccine still looks to be far from proven, and then, you would have to figure out a way to vaccinate the millions of wild deer with it. The QDMA and as far as I know, the NRA have not invested anything into deer birth control. What are you talking about?