Our deer was hit by a car. Sad and frustating

longislandhunter

My buddy and i have been hunting an area filled with rubs and scrapes.  We have been hunting it hard too.  Put a lot of hours in and then last weekend we find this guy dead, just off the road where I park my truck.  Such a cool and unique rack.  he was no monster but he had dark horns and he was really tall and his main beams were bladed instead of round.  He even had some palmation, not to mention the little crab claw on his main.  He was a real beauty.  So sad to see him go out like this.  I hope his dad is still in the woods.  I know its not a great pic but can anybody guess how old they think this guy was?  Im just curious.  I guessed 2 1/2.

post-1927-131455388047_thumb.jpg

post-1927-131455388062_thumb.jpg

you would have to contact the DEC and they would fill out the paper wrk and you canthen take the rack. i belive at that point they treat the rack like shed antlers. when they are attached to the head it is illegal to cut them off and take them with out the DEC

Did you buy the deer with your partner or something? ;)  The "our deer" tossed me for a loop for a second, until I realized it was a free-ranging deer you were hunting.

I'd call and get a permit from the DEC. It's surely is a nice buck. I think we can all relate in some way to that, either car accident, another hunter taking it, etc. I'll on occassion try to key in on a buck, but I try not to let it become the only target. When that buck gets taken out, it's a much bigger blow if you've focused all your efforts on it.

I hope you can get the tag!

Thanks for the info.  I have a feeling it may be gone by now.  As for the "our" deer.  My buddy who was thinking about getting a license has been coming out everyday with me.  he has been a real trooper and he is officially addicted like most of us.  He is going to get his license next year for sure.  Anyway I kind of feel like any deer i get would be "our" deer.  just as a matter of speaking.

I will let you know if the deer is still there, tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.  I have a feeling it may be gone by now.  As for the "our" deer.  My buddy who was thinking about getting a license has been coming out everyday with me.  he has been a real trooper and he is officially addicted like most of us.  He is going to get his license next year for sure.  Anyway I kind of feel like any deer i get would be "our" deer.  just as a matter of speaking.

No problem...I always found the posession of the deer before I really shot it was a jinx to me ;D

Anytime I did that..I ended up not getting it, haha. Way to get your friend out there...doing your part!

No problem...I always found the posession of the deer before I really shot it was a jinx to me ;D

Anytime I did that..I ended up not getting it, haha. Way to get your friend out there...doing your part!

i feel like that with a 170 class 8 i have watched grow all summer lol... felt like he was mine all year, still do and now since the open of the season i have not seen him once. just my luck i guess... lol. season isnt over you never know! i always like to think positive :D

A ll the free range deer in NYS belong to all of the people in NYS not to group or person.I have a 10 pointer on my property that has been here on and off through the year,I would like to say he is mine but in reality he is not.I just hope he is smart enough to stay clear of the local baiters and jackers.

A ll the free range deer in NYS belong to all of the people in NYS not to group or person.I have a 10 pointer on my property that has been here on and off through the year,I would like to say he is mine but in reality he is not.I just hope he is smart enough to stay clear of the local baiters and jackers.

Wow your really taking the word "our" literally huh?  Many people say "This is MY car" when if they have a car payment the bank in fact owns the car.  No offense but just for the record I am aware that I do not hold title to any deer on the island.  it was just a saying on a friendly forum.

Jeez, tough crowd.

It's an interesting issue though.. Charlie Asthiemer talks about the enclosed fenced area he created on his farm for a deer study area in his QDM book. They had to get all deer outside of the enclosure, or had to pay the sate for any deer trapped inside..