Pelican Case Foam

I just recently bought a pelican case and in the owners manual it talks about cutting the foam to customize my case. I plan on traveling with many different guns at different times so I don't want to cut the foam specifically for one gun. Do I have to cut the foam or can I leave it as is? Is this a big deal? I mean its foam I figure without cutting it, it will keep the gun snug and will not move at all. 

Long gun I assume?

If it is a bolt gun, pull the bolt out and try it in the case.  If it closes, even hard, I'd say your fine.

I have a bunch of lower end plastic cases and one good one and non of them have a cut out.  The hardcase has plenty of air miles on it.......

Maybe PM Dinsdale if he doesn't chime in here........he has taken numerous trips to Africa with long guns in hard cases.

Edited by Lawdwaz

I'd cut the foam IMO. If the case ends up on edge I have seen rifles migrate with the vibration to one side and rub a rifle pretty bad.

You just need to cut one layer and replacement foam is cheap to make more options.

I glue my first and second layers together but you don't need to do that, when filled it all keep itself in place. Make a seperate slot for the rifle bolt and pull that when packing.

I use a snap off blade craft knife to cut for a long blade (or Havalon Piranta, but not everyone has one).

IMG_2896_zpsd8fbd389.jpg

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

I'd cut the foam IMO. If the case ends up on edge I have seen rifles migrate with the vibration to one side and rub a rifle pretty bad.

You just need to cut one layer and replacement foam is cheap to make more options.

I glue my first and second layers together but you don't need to do that, when filled it all keep itself in place. Make a seperate slot for the rifle bolt and pull that when packing.

I use a snap off blade craft knife to cut for a long blade (or Havalon Piranta, but not everyone has one).

IMG_2896_zpsd8fbd389.jpg

Yea, I think that would work out ok.................................. :)

I don't remember that stock, it that new?  Who makes it??

Edited by Lawdwaz

IMG_2896_zpsd8fbd389.jpg

Nice case....BTW on a gun like that with interchangeable scoped barrels do you lose zero at all?

I'm going to be traveling with a 12 gauge autoloader and bolt action 30-06 you think I will able to cut room for the bother? it says its a double rifle case but that would seem like a lot to cut with not much left. Your photo just shows one rifle completely broken down. I don't plan on breaking down the guns just pulling the bolt on the 06. What do you think?

would seem like a lot to cut with not much left.

When you load the guns it'll keep it all in place.(I glue the two layers together as I mentioned when things get real flimsy and just buy the replacement foam packs for around 30 for different configurations)

You want to cut a bit undersized for a snug fit.

I also keep my foam cutouts if I decide to pack with something missing. Foam goes back in hole to retain shape for cases where I don't glue (I have several cases depending on what/where).

Lots of vibration on planes, 2 guns will end up against each other without something to keep them in place IMO.

Nice case....BTW on a gun like that with interchangeable scoped barrels do you lose zero at all?

No, zero is held for this manufacturer.

However, I find a slight shift between the wood version and the synthetic (pictured here) for a couple of barrels I own. Interestingly my 270win and 300wby do not shift at all. I believe there is a slight difference in the recoil lug slot ground into the barrel and the mating lug on the receiver. But if sighted in one one frame, that frame/barrel/scope combination will repeat.

If I fly I usually check zero anyway just in case something got dropped (Also stories of turrets getting tweeked here and there and cut case locks)

But I can fresh mount a scope (they are QD mounts for most barrels I have) and mount a barrel and just shoot. 

• Like 1

you could probably also just buy some thick foam weatherstripping and lay it around both guns to fill in any of the space that the guns could possibly shift into......I've also seen where someone cut slits in the bottom foam in the general area area the gun would sit and snaked velcro straps under it that was used to fasten the gun in place.

• Like 1