Light rust in my shotgun barrel

While cleaning my shotgun today, I realized that i have some very light rust in the threads where I would screw the choke in. So how should I go about cleaning it to get rid of it? I soaked it with some hoppes #9 and plan on leaving it overnight and hoping that will take care of it. I've never had rust in my barrel and i'm a little nervous about it. 

Sounds like it was just a little surface rust.Hit it with a a little penetrating oil & scrub the threads with a nylon brush. Wipe it all clean 

. then coat the threads of the choke with some choke lube or a good gun oil (not too much) and thread it in. You'll be all set.

Sounds like it was just a little surface rust.Hit it with a a little penetrating oil & scrub the threads with a nylon brush. Wipe it all clean 

. then coat the threads of the choke with some choke lube or a good gun oil (not too much) and thread it in. You'll be all set.

Sounds like you caught it in time.

I heard you could use a pencil eraser to.... well, erase light rust spots.

I tried it on a few of my old gun barrels in the past and it worked pretty well.

A good wipe down with the silicone cloth and they shined up like new.

Ok so I wipped my gun down a few times with Hoppes #9 and I cleaned out the threads in my shotgun with a tooth brush and it looks like I have taken out all of the rust which was really just a slight discoloration to begin with. I put a liberal amount of oil on the threads of both the shotgun and chokes and I think i'm in the clear. I appreciate the help guys!

A good anti-seize lube works great for choke tubes and threads. It's messy to work wth, but does wonders. Some folks remove and clean the tube/threads after every outing. Others leave the tubes in for months/years before wrestling them out. I've taken to removing them, inspecting and cleaning them after every outing or so.

Beretta sells a special tool for their style tubes/threads that will chase the threads and clean them out. It's very effective. I don't know who sells the equivalent for Browning, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc. Then again, a bronze/brass toothbrush would accomplish the same thing.

A good anti-seize lube works great for choke tubes and threads. It's messy to work wth, but does wonders. Some folks remove and clean the tube/threads after every outing. Others leave the tubes in for months/years before wrestling them out. I've taken to removing them, inspecting and cleaning them after every outing or so.

Beretta sells a special tool for their style tubes/threads that will chase the threads and clean them out. It's very effective. I don't know who sells the equivalent for Browning, Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc. Then again, a bronze/brass toothbrush would accomplish the same thing.

Ya I couldn't find my tube of white lithium grease so I just put oil and didn't lock down the tubes. I think a stiff tooth brush will do the same thing as that special tool.