I blew it.

5.9cummins

We i figured today would be my last day out with the rifle. I wanted to do some hunting in Allegany state park but thats a no go after they got 4 ft. So i went over to the farm, i figured 1200 acres is plenty of room to roam.

I think i covered about 5 miles by the time it was all said and done. At 11:15 i was walking slowly through a small patch of blue spruce when i caught movement. I shouldered the 257 and took two more steps and theres a doe standing in the open at 70 yards. I squeeze the trigger and boom - she just looks at me. Chamber another round and boom she finally takes off. Camber a third round when another doe and buck high tail it across the opening and i let one fly at the buck.

Long story short never cut a hair. I am kicking myself for not slowing down and for rushing the shot.

Now i am seriously debating going out again tomorrow night or should i go break the ice and come home with a limit of blue gill and some perch.

correct me if i am wrong they do not allow rifles for deer in allegany state paek

I [glow=red,2,300]wanted[/glow] to do some hunting in Allegany state park but thats a no go after they got 4 ft. So [glow=red,2,300]i went over to the farm[/glow], i figured 1200 acres is plenty of room to roam.

correct me if i am wrong they do not allow rifles for deer in allegany state paek

I [glow=red,2,300]wanted[/glow] to do some hunting in Allegany state park but thats a no go after they got 4 ft. So [glow=red,2,300]i went over to the farm[/glow], i figured 1200 acres is plenty of room to roam.

alt=allrighthttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/thumbup.gif[/img]...alt=allrighthttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/thumbup.gif[/img]...alt=allrighthttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/thumbup.gif[/img]

Were you missing due to rushing the shot or does the rifle need to be sighted in ?

You hit it on the head.

Went out one last time this evening. Had a doe pop out at about 200 yards which is what my rifle was zeroed for. Squeeze the trigger and she jumps / lurches like it was a boiler maker hit. I don't see her run out the other side of the pines so i figured i had her. Got down about half an hour later and made my way to where she was standing - no blood. Follow her into the pines and find 3 different places where she stopped. Followed her another 200 yards and not a single drop of blood.

So i walk back up to the top of the hill and take a seat in the wide open on the edge of the trees. Half an hour later i look down and here is another deer standing at 90 yards. Put the scope on it and its a little 4pt. About 15 seconds pass while i am contemplating what to do. Finally i squeeze the trigger and he folds on the spot. I walk back to my tree to get my camera and knife and head down to him. Walk up to him and hes got a hole in his neck about 18" from where i was aiming.

I cant figure out where i bumped it. I always transport it with a case and take extra precautions in the field to protect the optics. It was dead on this summer and opening day so i am not sure where it got messed up.