Revised Mute Swan Plan

This news release just showed up in my inbox. I haven't read it yet. The plan link is http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7076.html DEC Releases Revised Mute Swan Management Plan for Public Comment Significant Changes Made to Plan as Result of Previous Public Comments Plan Focuses on Protecting Wetland Habitats; Swans Can Remain in Urban Parks and Other Controlled Settings

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today released a revised mute swan management plan with significant changes after considering the diverse public comments received on a first draft released in January 2014. DEC is accepting public comments on the revised plan through April 24.

The mute swan is a non-native, invasive species brought to North America to beautify estates in the late 1800s, but birds that escaped or were released established feral populations that are competing with native wildlife for aquatic food plants and nesting areas. The revised draft Management Plan for Mute Swans in New York State is available on the DEC website.

"Wildlife management can present challenges in trying to balance conflicting interests, such as when a beautiful bird has undesirable impacts," DEC Commissioner Joe Martens said. "This revised plan remains committed to minimizing the impacts of mute swans on wildlife dependent on wetlands for their habitats, while being sensitive to public concerns about how and where that is accomplished."

During the review process, DEC met with a variety of statewide stakeholder groups, including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ducks Unlimited, NYS Fish and Wildlife Management Board, Humane Society of the U.S., NYS Conservation Council, NYS Invasive Species Advisory Committee and USDA Wildlife Services.

"These organizations displayed a tremendous amount of professionalism in voicing their concerns while demonstrating a willingness to listen and seek solutions that would be broadly accepted," Commissioner Martens added. "As a result of this thoughtful public input, the plan is greatly improved."

Notable changes to the plan include:

1. A revised goal focused on minimizing swan impacts, rather than eliminating all free-flying swans;
  2. A regional approach that recognizes the distinct differences in history, status, impacts and management opportunities for mute swans between downstate and upstate regions of New York;
  3. A new strategy to permit municipalities to keep swans at local parks and other settings pursuant to local swan management plans, as long as certain conditions are met;
  4. A commitment to full consideration of non-lethal techniques, including egg-oiling and placement of swans in possession of persons licensed by DEC, except where immediate removal of swans is necessary to protect public health or safety; and
  5. A more succinct summary of the impacts mute swans can have, citing additional scientific studies.

The revised management plan describes nine strategies that DEC believes are necessary to achieve the plan goal. Key strategies include public education and outreach to inform people about the history and impacts of mute swans in New York; banning the importation, commercial trade, propagation and release of mute swans; allowing municipalities to develop local mute swan management plans in cooperation with DEC; and continued efforts by DEC to reduce wild mute swan populations, especially in upstate New York where they did not occur before 1980.

Comments on the revised draft mute swan plan may be submitted in writing through April 24 to: NYSDEC Bureau of Wildlife, Swan Management Plan, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY 12233-4754 or by e-mail to [email protected] (please type "Swan Plan" in the subject line). DEC's summary of and responses to public comments on the earlier draft plan are also available on the DEC website.

In addition to mute swans, DEC is concerned about many other invasive species in New York, including aquatic invasive plants, zebra mussel, emerald ash borer, Asian carp, Eurasian boar, to name a few. For more information about invasive species in New York, and DEC's efforts to prevent and control them, go to: New York Invasive Species Information website (leaving DEC website).

We will see how the first draft's strategy to open a hunting season fares. Ironically, mute swans have been classified in NY as a game species since the 1970s. I am not sure if the DEC even needs legislative approval to create a hunting season when it involves a species already classified as game. They might have the legal authority to just go ahead and set a hunting season...  It should make everyone uneasy,given that the DEC's original plan was to extirpate the species, if they are now unwilling  to even allow regulated hunting, especially since mute swans are already classed as game and are considered invasive species... 

"During the review process, DEC met with a variety of statewide stakeholder groups, including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ducks Unlimited, NYS Fish and Wildlife Management Board, Humane Society of the U.S., NYS Conservation Council, NYS Invasive Species Advisory Committee and USDA Wildlife Services."

Look who was listed first on that list of stake holders, I find this sad and a sign of things to come. Between that and politicians deciding game laws we are screwed.

"During the review process, DEC met with a variety of statewide stakeholder groups, including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ducks Unlimited, NYS Fish and Wildlife Management Board, Humane Society of the U.S., NYS Conservation Council, NYS Invasive Species Advisory Committee and USDA Wildlife Services."

Look who was listed first on that list of stake holders, I find this sad and a sign of things to come. Between that and politicians deciding game laws we are screwed.

Indeed that does not bode well.

Indeed that does not bode well.

Ducks Unlimited is listed too, however they do not typically get involved in these types of matters. It does concern wetland habitats, and mute swans impact wetland SAV,  but I still believe this would be out of DU's ordinary scope. That gets my curiosity up...

Ducks Unlimited is listed too, however they do not typically get involved in these types of matters. It does concern wetland habitats, and mute swans impact wetland SAV, but I still believe this would be out of DU's ordinary scope. That gets my curiosity up...

DEC states they are looking for waterfowlers input before even thinking about a hunting season, DU would give them that input and the all to important help in convincing non-hunters this is necessary.

Looks like the DEC was flooded with comments from Swan lovers after reading through that. No surprise there and I'm also not surprised by the lack of comments from hunters and conservationists,

That is the rule, not the exception. We have been working to change that...

DEC states they are looking for waterfowlers input before even thinking about a hunting season, DU would give them that input and the all to important help in convincing non-hunters this is necessary.

DU refuses to become involved with any issue other than habitat. If this was not the case this time, it would be a first as far as I know. 

Are there areas of upstate where there are enough mute swans for hunters to target them - as opposed to incidental encounters?

I hunt widely across the state. I have them in gun range every year in all the sections I hunt. From the center of the state to state lines.  Some of those locations include border waters, were they are unprotected on one side and fully protected on the NY side. Sometimes that would be a river 40 or 50 yards wide. Other locations are border lands, with permanent water and/or beaver impoundments used by mute swans. 

A lot of the places I hunt during the first split are very good nesting and brooding habitat. If mute swans are there in the fall, I am sure they are there during nesting/brooding season. In the fall those small waters only contain so much SAV. It doesn't excite me to take mute swan, but I recognize their growing impacts, and where it is allowed I shoot and  eat them. They taste like swan... 

As far as specifically targeting them, I am sure that if experienced waterfowl hunters observed and monitored mute swans during scouting missions they would return specifically for them unless they located an "X" of a more desirable species. And what is desirable is determined by personal preference. In lieu of the X, hunters would resort to what is known as hunting traffic birds. If they found an X used by mute swans, they would have another option besides hunting traffic. I think that defines targeting them, but if you mean is there enough to target every weekend ,over the entire 60 day duck season or entire goose season,  of course not. When there are that many places to locate mute swans, the problem should be promoted to out of control...

Edited by mike rossi

Mike perhaps DEC reached out to DU for help with SAV then?

I was encouraged after reading DEC's plan further.

I have not taken the time to read the revised plan yet, but I will. I am sure it is a competent plan. It is not the DEC anyone is complaining about in this, it is how the political pressure forced the revision. How well the DEC balanced the public outcry with their management objectives will reflect in this revision, which, like I said, I have not yet read.

I would say partnering with DU is a good idea. One thing to keep in mind. Although, it is not inconceivable that DU would invest in enhancing small pockets of habitat throughout NY; DU chapter money may or may not stay locally; DU has priority areas it focuses on. This should not dissuade anyone from supporting DU, because the majority of migratory birds you encounter in NY are hatched in the PPR or Boreal forest. I would also question the receptiveness of private landowners in NY to DU's efforts on their property. They achieve tremendous cooperation in other regions, but I would imagine a greater challenge here. The long term solution is habitat, but in this case, I think slowing these winged lawn mowers from encroaching on more and more habitat pockets on private and public land is akin to stopping the bleeding before operating... I think people who don't hunt have difficulty with the concept of the problem with a pair of non native swans on some secluded two acre wetland. Wetland habitat is limited, and the percent of wetland habitat conducive to nesting is even more limited. With tough winters like this year and last year, the impact of mute swans  is less affordable than in more moderate years. Even if birds do not starve, reproduction of under-weight hens is impaired. Mute swans make less food available, less space available, and cause the smaller birds to burn calories when they flee for their lives from aggressive and territorial  mute swans...

Edited by mike rossi

I just read key parts of the plan. It seems weak on hunters helping control the population. "3.3. Allow take of mute swans by waterfowl hunters in certain situations." (see page 12 of http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/muteswanmgmtpln2015.pdf )

I understand that DEC is responding to downstate animal rights pressure. Upstate hunting should not be controversial - any more controversial than other waterfowl hunting. Yes, mute swans are pretty, but they are also a destructive invasive species.

I just read key parts of the plan. It seems weak on hunters helping control the population. "3.3. Allow take of mute swans by waterfowl hunters in certain situations." (see page 12 of http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/muteswanmgmtpln2015.pdf )

I understand that DEC is responding to downstate animal rights pressure. Upstate hunting should not be controversial - any more controversial than other waterfowl hunting. Yes, mute swans are pretty, but they are also a destructive invasive species.

I have not yet read the revised draft, but I did read the DEC's responses to last years comments. They didn't respond to any of our comments. However, they did use a number of the videos we had sent them to supplement or bolster several of their replies. I also noted that it was indicated that ANY was one of the organizations the DEC cited was in support of the first draft. If you have not yet read the responses, I think you will find them interesting. 

Based on what was indicated in the responses, I have a few points I want to submit already. Do you plan on commenting? 

Edited by mike rossi

I will comment as an individual, and contribute to organizational comments. ANY comments on the new draft may be kept under the radar. I'll try to find time to read the responses soon.

If we do an organizational letter  I will let you know. I am not sure if we are going to, but I will probably be sending my own along. I need to read the darn thing first though...