NY gun owners seek to halt police confiscations

Read it again.  He allowed his mom to live with him in his house.

if I remember correctly, the first story was an argument with Daddy over doing laundry or something along those lines.........the second is about a guy who owes Mommy money, so she takes his gun and hides it........pretty normal behavior between adults, wouldn't you say?............I just find the story lines behind each incident to be pretty comical.

Just goes to prove the point that this type of thing can happen to any average family and the NY gun owner will be the one the state comes down on like a sledge hammer.

my point was those are things that don't occur in the average household..........especially the second one with Mom taking the gun.

You live a sheltered life...those type of stories among family members are very common. Those are darn right tame actually.

If never having the police come into my home to intercede in a family fight either while growing up in my parents house or as an adult with my own family, means I've lived a sheltered life, then I'm guilty as charged..........and I really can't remember any other family member needing them for that reason either............but we all have the dysfunctional family in our neighborhood that always has a cop car parked in front of their house for one reason or another, normal? not in my book.

The fact that you stated "We all have the family in the neighborhood with a cop parked in front of it"...says it all...I don't think I ever lived in a neighbor hood that didn't have that...I've had the cops here a few times JUST BECAUSE OF Said neighbor..filing false reports, due to being ticked we bought the land she wanted. Not good enough having them at her place at least once a week for domestic problems. Switch your perception or definition of "normal" to "common"if you must.He has a valid point.

my comments are pretty much about these nonsense Domestic disputes, which is where you can run into trouble when it comes to guns, there are way too many people inviting the police into their lives and homes for nonsense that really doesn't require police action, but is just about one person sticking it to another without realizing the potential consequences.....it's beyond me to even imagine calling the cops to help settle an argument between my wife and me.

If the situation was bad enough to have the police come to my home over a family matter. I or that family member would be moving out pronto! I couldn't or wouldn't live like that. I much prefer a peaceful and quiet life at home. And nobody especially the police,needs to know my business.

If the situation was bad enough to have the police come to my home over a family matter. I or that family member would be moving out pronto! I couldn't or wouldn't live like that. I much prefer a peaceful and quiet life at home. And nobody especially the police,needs to know my business.

exactly! but to some people having the police at their home is no different then seeing the mailman.............

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

You guys really think you would never be subject to police confiscating your guns in NY State?  You have no idea what kind of power the SAFE Act has given the police when it comes to taking your firearms.  There are a number of reasons they could come to your home looking for guns without you calling them.  Anyone can drop a dime on you for any reason.  Someone you've never met could just hear you own guns and decide to tell the police they think you are a threat.  Someone could falsely accuse you of being an aggressor in a road rage incident.  Your wife may decide she wants to divorce you and being a gun owner will get a restraining order on you quicker than you can call your lawyer.  One of your kids may decide to mess with you and call the cops.  One of your firearms may cause an injury to you or someone else and the cops are coming to your home whether you like it or not.

The point being made by this post is, don't assume you are above this scenario because you think you are.  You're not.

These type of, "it will never happen to me" posts, do nothing to help repeal the SAFE Act.  They actually can be interpreted as support for the SAFE Act as if it only affects firearm owners that deserve abuse from it.

Edited by Mr VJP

You guys really think you would never be subject to police confiscating your guns in NY State?  You have no idea what kind of power the SAFE Act has given the police when it comes to taking your firearms.  There are a number of reasons they could come to your home looking for guns without you calling them.  Anyone can drop a dime on you for any reason.  Someone you've never met could just hear you own guns and decide to tell the police they think you are a threat.  Your wife may decide she wants to divorce you and being a gun owner will get a restraining order on you quicker than you can call your lawyer.  One of you kids may decide to mess with you and call the cops.  One of your firearms may cause an injury to you or someone else and the cops are coming to your home whether you like it or not.

The point being made by this post is, don't assume you are above this scenario because you think you are.  You're not.

These type of, "it will never happen to me" posts, do nothing to help repeal the SAFE Act.  They actually can be interpreted as support for the SAFE Act as if it only affects firearm owners that deserve abuse from it.

oh,I don't doubt it can happen to anyone.............I was just posting my thoughts on people who invite law enforcement into their lives for nonsense and unwittingly open themselves up to more trouble then they were looking for..........what someone else does to you may not be under your control, but what YOU do to yourself or family members certainly is.

When another member of your household calls the cops on you, it doesn't matter if they were needed or not.  Pandora's box has been opened and you are the one they are coming for.  You would be ordered by the cops to leave and all your gun rights will be taken at the same time.  It's happened thousands of times in NY already since the SAFE Act passed.  If you are lucky and have the money to fight the action in court, you may be able to get your guns back.  But as illustrated by the original post, the odds are against you under the SAFE Act.

I believe we will see a lot more of these calls in NY in the future because NY is going to encourage people to call the cops on gun owners as often as possible in order to go up their rectums with a microscope to find a reason to take their guns.  Gun ownership in NY State is no longer the uncontested Constitutional right many gun owners still believe it to be.  NY State has mounted a campaign to make all gun owners in the state suspect in the eyes of the public.  

Rule of Law is on the side of the gun owner, but the legal pursuit of it has been moved up to the US Supreme Court by NY State, and getting there takes years and costs a fortune, and that's if you are lucky enough to be able to do it.

NY gun owners need to realize just how much of a threat the SAFE Act really is and start taking steps to avoid it's abuses.

• Like 2

OK I have to say it... YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO LEARN NYS LAWS...if you have a family member living at your house beyond the age of dependency ...you have made a contract with them, you can not just kick them out. you have to give notice and go through a eviction process like with a renter.  If said child or boy friend  or friend knows the law good luck...and let me tell you...I have seen the cops inform ppl of their rights  just to screw with the person calling...

My kids were out when they were out of school and they were told in advance to always make sure you can stand on your own,... I'll help but I'm not a walker or crutch..

http://www.9news.com/news/article/267106/339/My-house-my-rules-Not-any-more

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publications/factsheets-and-resources/adult-children-living-at-home

OK I have to say it... YOU GUYS REALLY NEED TO LEARN NYS LAWS...if you have a family member living at your house beyond the age of dependency ...you have made a contract with them, you can not just kick them out. you have to give notice and go through a eviction process like with a renter.  If said child or boy friend  or friend knows the law good luck...and let me tell you...I have seen the cops inform ppl of their rights  just to screw with the person calling...

My kids were out when they were out of school and they were told in advance to always make sure you can stand on your own,... I'll help but I'm not a walker or crutch..

http://www.9news.com/news/article/267106/339/My-house-my-rules-Not-any-more

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publications/factsheets-and-resources/adult-children-living-at-home

I'm well aware of how that works, but I didn't see where anyone mentioned throwing someone out of the house.

What it all boils down to is do the police have the right to confiscate a persons firearms over a petty dispute, which somehow led to the police being called. I vote no. 

no, but unfortunately we rarely get the full story in many of these cases....are they petty or is there a lot more to them? I could come up with a dozen reasons that could possibly fit in the puzzle of those two stories that led to the confiscation, but that would be pointless.

Posted Today, 08:31 AM

grampy, on 06 Jun 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:snapback.png

exactly! but to some people having the police at their home is no different then seeing the mailman.............

gotcha........yeah, I've seen "tenants" make the property owners life a living hell, very few people who rent rooms or apartments or let others, including family members establish a residency in a dwelling they own, fully realize the rights of such "tenant" until they try to get them out...........but that's another topic all together.

Edited by jjb4900