Pheasants

Tio1

I don't know that area of the state to well, but have you looked on the DEC web site to see where they have released them at all? Also there is a State run Co-op near Ithaca that might be worth checking out. If all else fails there is allways a preserve to try, there is a fair priced one in Rome NY.

Are you a member of Navhda? Its a good way to train in the off season through the summer months. I know there is a chaper in the Finger lakes region.

I have a 8 month old GWP, we don't have many Phesants here, just grouse and they are a pain to try and train a dog on. Or should I say they are a pain for me to hit.

Culver crk hunt club - I'm located in Eden, NY and Doewhacker I'm planning on joining the NAVHDA - Finger Lakes. I was told that their training starts this Spring. Anymore info pls share - Thanks

Oh,

May be a little too far west for any suggestions I have. I know of a great preserve and they train year round because they use chuckars as well but it is in Bloomfield NY,

She specializes in Springers and GSH's.

No frills and great folks

Culver crk hunt club - I'm located in Eden, NY and Doewhacker I'm planning on joining the NAVHDA - Finger Lakes. I was told that their training starts this Spring. Anymore info pls share - Thanks

If you plan on joining NAVHDA, then look at their training manual by Sig Winterhelt or how to help Gun Dogs train themselves. Both are great reading.

Each chapter is different, ours is going to use a horse training arena (for lack of a better word) in the coming months and then go back out side come March and then test in May.

You will need to join the National Orginization first which is where the training DVD and book comes from, just look on their web site and you will find all the info you need to join. Once you get that done, look up the local chapter, they may have a web site? I'll check on that too. You will need to join the local chapter too, and you will need the National number they give you to sign up. Typically the local chapter charges a fee per training, ours is $10 and this goes towards land use fee and equipment. There will also be a charge per bird used in training, fairly cheap for Chuckars and a little more for Pheasants and ducks. I like chuckars because they are cheap and hold well in cover and flush good.

Gus is my first bird dog and coming into this I knew zero about training a dog so joining was a great way for me to gain knowledge and also have access to guys who have done it all before. I am no where near done training him but he has made great strides and I have learned alot along the way. Good luck!

Here is their web site..  http://www.flnavhda.com/