Making a new hunting knife

Nice to see a few knife guys around here . A guy I work with has made a few out of files, wonder bars and lawn mower blades, with basically a belt sander , grinder and hand tools.

They're a bit rough but functional . He just made a friction folder , the neat part is the blade came from one of my Dads files ! When my Dad died I gave him a bunch of his tools including a pile of files .

I think it's cool to be able to make your own knife . With stock removal method you just remove all the metal that does'nt look like a knife ....

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates.  Life has gotten in the way of my knife hobby for the past few months.  We have been busy getting ready to finally move back up north to the NY/Mass area!  I'm hoping that after the move I'll have a little more time to finish my projects.  So far, I have 2 x 90% complete kitchen knives, this one at about 5% and three fillet knives that I'm making that are basically just an idea and raw materials.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Now working on a damascus ( layered) forged welding tracker knife. Combination of an ax and knife on one handle. Using  1085 and 15N20. Colder than the blazes out in this wind even with the forge cranking. Hopefully, their will be no imperfections as in the last damascus billet. Think I got tach  welding the pieces down pat now.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I ended up with a billet that is far from perfect. Not able to get a 10" tracker that I want, but can cut around the indents for some smaller knives. I believe now, that the flux is getting between some layers of steel.  This damascus making is sure trying to learn, but we will succeed. I will take some pics for posting.