Reverse draw crossbows

Jaeger

Hey, does anyone else have a reverse draw crossbow?  I have a Barnett Vengance and am having questions about setup.

I think a few other manufactures, for ex. Scorpyd , might have joined in producing them.

They pose a whole new set of questions, for example, where to get a proper fitting cover?

My main issue right now is that the string does not hit the rail and everything I read says wax the string because normally it does hit the rail.  I wonder if this is causing the bolts to flip up?

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see how people like the reverse draw bow, not much experience but I do think they handle better while walking. 

I have a reverse draw Horton Fury.

I just have a lightweight nylon bag for storing it in since it doesn't travel anywhere during the off season. It fits with plenty of room to spare since the bow is so narrow compared to conventional x-bow limbs.

Keep your string waxed, keep your rail lubed, and keep your eye on the target.

I don't get into all the nit-picking I read about the way guys sight in, or the other particulars of how someone else expects a rig to perform.

Once season rolls around I'll be on target as usual while others get hyper sensitive making micro adjustments.

No need to over complicate things IMO.

Launch a few bolts to familiarize yourself with your new rig and get it dialed in. The trickiest part is learning how to lug that awkward contraption to the woods comfortably, but that doesn't take long to figure out once you do it a few times.

Because of their reverse draw geometry, are they within legal specs per DEC? Know a couple years ago when I was browsing Xbows, some models were not? If I recall, it was the 200# draw max...or maybe the min width??? Just curious! Aside from that,.very cool Xbow design!

Edited by nyslowhand

I have a reverse draw Horton Fury.

I just have a lightweight nylon bag for storing it in since it doesn't travel anywhere during the off season. It fits with plenty of room to spare since the bow is so narrow compared to conventional x-bow limbs.

Keep your string waxed, keep your rail lubed, and keep your eye on the target.

I don't get into all the nit-picking I read about the way guys sight in, or the other particulars of how someone else expects a rig to perform.

Once season rolls around I'll be on target as usual while others get hyper sensitive making micro adjustments.

No need to over complicate things IMO.

Launch a few bolts to familiarize yourself with your new rig and get it dialed in. The trickiest part is learning how to lug that awkward contraption to the woods comfortably, but that doesn't take long to figure out once you do it a few times.

Funny, that's why I keep giving up on my compound, too many little things to tweak to get it "just right".

Use longbows and recurves instead.  With them it's more of a mental game to shoot well.

Thanks for the support, it does shoot just fine, so why worry?!!  I'll be getting a better scope, just "because".

My trickiest part is that I'm short and I really have to do a vertical chest pull up to cock the thing.  I think one of the new crank drawing devices may help, but here we go again, adding complications!!

• 2 weeks later...

Because of their reverse draw geometry, are they within legal specs per DEC? Know a couple years ago when I was browsing Xbows, some models were not? If I recall, it was the 200# draw max...or maybe the min width??? Just curious! Aside from that,.very cool Xbow design!

Some are, some arent. Theres a min width (uncocked) and a max draw of 200#

Funny, that's why I keep giving up on my compound, too many little things to tweak to get it "just right".

Use longbows and recurves instead.  With them it's more of a mental game to shoot well.

Thanks for the support, it does shoot just fine, so why worry?!!  I'll be getting a better scope, just "because".

My trickiest part is that I'm short and I really have to do a vertical chest pull up to cock the thing.  I think one of the new crank drawing devices may help, but here we go again, adding complications!!

Reverse draw is it! And then there is everything else. Perfect balance with the riser between your hands, increased power stroke for an unmatched draw weight to arrow speed ratio (Scorpyd). If you are having issues cocking your Vengeance and it came with a long rope cocker, try a short sled cocker.  

Get yourself a Hawke scope, you set the turret at 20 yards and then the speed dial at 30 yards and all of the yardage is auto set to 100 yards! That's a beautiful thing!

• Like 1