60 year old 20 gauge slug gun still gets the job done.

My son brought his 20 gauge Remington 11-48 to the NY place today.  I set this up for him about 15 years ago.  It has a smooth bore but will group within 3" at 50 yards and 6" at 100 yards.  That's using full size Remington slugs no less.  I want him to try some of the Tru-Ball slugs.  Where he hunts, they stalk or still hunt and shots are usually closer than 50 yards.  He doesn't even want to put a sling on it.  It has a wood stock and forearm that is painted flat black.  He's not into camo on his guns.

It has Williams adjustable Fire Sights on the rib that glow in the daylight.  What is custom, and really effective at reducing muzzle jump, especially when shooting at a running deer, is that brake on the barrel.  It came off a Thompson Sub Machine Gun! The barrel was originally full choke.  It also has a very nice trigger that breaks clean at 4.5 lbs.

This gun is 60 years old and still shoots well without issues.  It's the old long recoil operating system, where the entire barrel recoils rearward to eject the empty case.  Remington made great guns back in the day and if you took care of them, they could be handed down through the generations.  I bought it used, and it's nothing special, other than it's killed a lot of deer.  I hope my son will be able to hand it down to his child someday too.

post-177-0-78641400-1440276383_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-73766900-1440276406_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-18287300-1440276428_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 6

Ants.....I think have the "Hawk" part right....

I do believe that Remington made a birch stock, dull finish no frills model called the "Mohawk"  that was mechanically the same as the 11-48... Or rather as the 48 which was simply a 3 shot version of the 5 shot 11-48..

• Like 1

That's right, they did make a budget version called the "Mohawk".  sort of like the budget "Express" versions offered today.

I'd like to find an 11-48 in 16 gauge that's in good condition too.  If they are well kept, they are a real value for the prices they ask.

Edited by Mr VJP

Ants.....I think have the "Hawk" part right....

I do believe that Remington made a birch stock, dull finish no frills model called the "Mohawk"  that was mechanically the same as the 11-48... Or rather as the 48 which was simply a 3 shot version of the 5 shot 11-48..

Yup…."Mohawk" ...thats it…one of the farmers, who owns one of the properties I hunt has an old Remington shotgun. I took a couple shots with it years ago, and remember that the model name had the word Hawk in it. The gun had high gloss wood and nice shinny bluing tho...

Partial credit….LOL!!

Yup…."Mohawk" ...thats it…one of the farmers, who owns one of the properties I hunt has an old Remington shotgun. I took a couple shots with it years ago, and remember that the model name had the word Hawk in it. The gun had high gloss wood and nice shinny bluing tho...

Partial credit….LOL!!

My moldy memory might be  off  a bit, too, Ants....I do recall it was kind of a plain Jane finished gun, but that may have been previous to the time that they started putting matte blued finishes on guns to reduce manufacturing costs, as they did with the Remington 870 Express..

When that matte finish 870 first came out I liked it. I liked the idea of a non glare finish. I bought one, back in the late 80's early 90's and duck hunted the hell out of it. Now I think that finish in an abomination!!   LOL!! I think I have just seen too many of them.

I  suspect that the gun industries  saw the stain non glare stocks and matte metl finishes as sort of a "double windfall"..

They were less expensive to manufacture and they came at a time when camo finishes were becoming popular on hunting guns...With a dull stock and matte blue, who NEEDS a camo finish for waterfowl and turkeys..??...One of the most successful gobbler hunters I know used to cover his brightly finished 1100 with camo tape..Then he won an 870 Express (in a local gobbler contest) and he's used it as is ever since to kill many more gobblers.

I  suspect that the gun industries  saw the stain non glare stocks and matte metl finishes as sort of a "double windfall"..

They were less expensive to manufacture and they came at a time when camo finishes were becoming popular on hunting guns...With a dull stock and matte blue, who NEEDS a camo finish for waterfowl and turkeys..??...One of the most successful gobbler hunters I know used to cover his brightly finished 1100 with camo tape..Then he won an 870 Express (in a local gobbler contest) and he's used it as is ever since to kill many more gobblers.

My late old timer hunting buddy used a shinny old Ithaca 37, plain bird barrel fixed mod. choke. He took  tons of gobblers with it.. He covered the gun with cheap, and I mean cheap plasticey   camo tape that he left on the gun for years. When he finally took off the tape it wasn't that shinny any more, but it still worked. He replaced the the old, peeling off camo tape, with green duct tape and added a little black electrical tape to "break up the pattern". He took several more Toms with that gun.  LOL! He passed a few years back at age 85. His son took off all that tape, with the hopes of refinishing the gun, but after seeing what was under the tape…he just bought new camo tape and re wrapped it…..LOL!!

• Like 1