Whats an OK rod / reel combo for general fresh water lake and river use?

burmjohn

Whats an OK rod / reel combo for general fresh water lake and river use?

I know nothing about fishing, but I'd like to get 2 rods for the lakes / rivers around the property.    I'm not looking for anything expensive, there are no many affordable options out there. I was in BJ's the other day, and they had a decent rod w/a tackle box for like 30 bux.  Any suggestions?

Fishing is like hunting.  There is something specific for everything. 

I like a  6and half foot light action rod with 3-4 pount test. Its a good rod for trout but I like using it for Largemouth also.  The light action makes it fun when you catch a fish. You just need to make sure that you set your drag to release the line when the fish fight cause of such a thin line. 

Your reel should be small on a light action rod.  Check the reel and see what pound test line is required for that reel.  That combo makes for exciting fishing even if you catch a blue gill.

• 2 weeks later...

I like a 6-1/2 foot medium light action rod. I have never had much luck with combos. I would stick with a spinning ste up and realls are like optics....very cheap can cause you a lot of frustration. I have SHimano reels that have a trigger attachmnet that allows the bail to be opened with just you casting hand. ...been a while but about 50 bucks. If you had to chince on one or the other....spend the cash in the reel.

For reference and by no means the only choice--

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102802_100001000_100000000_100001000_100-1-0

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_99228_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2

6'-6" 2 peice medium action  line weight 4-12....will do anything you want....I have landed Steelhead and salmon with mine...I hae this same rod..

Good luck and enjoy.....I love fishing...especially hard water

• 2 weeks later...